June 06, 2020, 01:03:51 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Rallies Scotland,England,Wales, N I » 2020 Detecting Scotland Digs (Moderator: afgingram) » restrictions and digs

Author Topic: restrictions and digs  (Read 357 times)

afgingram

restrictions and digs
« on: May 21, 2020, 09:13:51 PM »
Hi all,
 Hope you are all well and have managed to stay free from harm. So today the first minister announced a lockdown pathway for getting back to a sense of a new "normality"
Unfortunately SOME of the stages are clearer than others,  I am not going to pass comment on what this means for any individual that wants to get out detecting (including myself)
 However the fact that driving to certain activities that are not "local" would mean that most folk couldn't attend organised digs until stage 3 of the pathway. So I have decided not to hold or organise any digs or events until we are clearly out of the COVID 19 threat and that we are well into stage 4.
It would be a waste of all our time and effort to forego the last 3 months just to end up cancelling events last minute, or worse put folk at risk when we all thought it was safe too early. As much as I really miss seeing folk and having a good purposeful Sunday watching coins and finds coming out the ground im not willing to put yours or my own families health at risk for what essentially is a hobby.
 I have remained in contact with most of DS site landowners and some new ones that I made contact with earlier this year. We have new areas near the borders and in and around Fife and the Lothian areas to look forward to.
They have assured us that we are more than welcome as soon as they and us feel that the time is right.
 The coins, artefacts, ringpulls, lead and buttons will all still be there when we return as a club to detecting.
Until then, stay safe and if your out on your permissions lets see the pics.
 Aye,
 Jim

The fat pied piper of Basra

Sland

Re: restrictions and digs
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 09:31:18 PM »
A good update Jim.  Thanks.
Mike
Edinburgh
CTX 3030 / Garret Ace 400i

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 10:15:13 PM »
Looking forward to seeing everyone when its safe to do so 😊👍
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

Sland

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:26:37 PM »
I'm going to have to go out in the garden to remind myself how to use a metal detector, doh!
Mike
Edinburgh

sinclair

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 11:29:31 PM »
well said jim

johnl

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 08:26:52 AM »
well said jim.the coins etc could have been there for over a thousand years .I know we are all frustrated but we are all in the same boat .good to see you have more sites the borders etc .which is spreading it around .take care everyone .and as my late brother said I wll see you when I see you.

Slackrabbit

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 12:02:22 PM »
Thanks for the update Jim. I’m itchin to get back out too.
I believe the Scottish Government definition of local is 5 miles from home. Not far.
Hope everyone is doing well and see you all when we get back.
No such thing as bad weather.
Just inappropriate clothing.

Slackrabbit

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 09:47:58 AM »
NCMD Update for England. I imagine Scotland will follow with similar measures.

Covid 19 Update 26-05-2020
26th May 2020

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) have worked with the British Museum to prepare metal detecting specific guidance during COVID-19. These can be found here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-on-searching-for-archaeological-finds-in-england-during-covid-19

It provides information on what to do if you find an item covered by the Treasure Act 1996, as well as how you work with the Portable Antiquities Scheme to continue to record other coins and artefacts.

Note it also gives specific guidance on rallies and other group digs.

‘To ensure people are social distancing, the government has prohibited by law all public gatherings of more than two people. Group or club searches and rallies are therefore prohibited.’

Following announcements on further lockdown easing on Sunday 25 May we will lobby the DCMS for organised digs to be included in any further changes to lockdown restrictions.
No such thing as bad weather.
Just inappropriate clothing.

Sland

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 06:28:47 PM »
Latest From NCMD Scotland:

DETECTING IN SCOTLAND

Scotland's First Minister today announced a move to Phase of 1 of easing lockdown restrictions which means that from tomorrow, various outdoor activities can now take place. Metal detecting can therefore be carried out in Scotland within the current regulations relating to social distancing but strictly limited to solo detecting, detecting with a member of your own household, or with one other person. No group or club detecting can yet be permitted.

Please also use common sense and avoid travelling any distance to your detecting permissions, and do not share a car with anyone outwith your household.

Before you rush out, please remember to check with the land owner that they are content to continue to provide permission at this time as their situation may have changed.

The full text of the First Minister's statement can be accessed at:

https://news.gov.scot/speeches-and-briefings/coronavirus-covid-19-update-first-ministers-speech-28-may-2020

The TTU can only currently deal with finds by email. Please keep abreast of their information by checking in with their website periodically.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THINGS MAY CHANGE WITHOUT MUCH NOTICE IF THE EASING BRINGS BACK A SURGE IN CASES OF COVID 19.

Stay safe out there, people!

Siobhan Liehne

Mike
Edinburgh