October 26, 2020, 07:18:47 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Doodles gone diggin (Moderator: Doodles the Flatback) » Charles II 1677 2 pence Turner

Author Topic: Charles II 1677 2 pence Turner  (Read 590 times)

maxjerath

Charles II 1677 2 pence Turner
« on: August 04, 2020, 02:06:40 AM »
While digging my front garden to convert it intro drive way I found 3 coins do far.
1954 half Penny and 1978 pence both in very good condition but the beat was about to come.
At first flance it looked like rusty round piece of metal but I decided to give it a go and clean it a bit. Soaked in white vinegar and rinsed with hot water it started reavealing some shapes.
The coin is really damaged but you can clearly see crown with something crossed below.
When I've done my research it came out it is Charles II Scottish Turner (two pence) from 1677
On one side it Has crown with crossed sword and Sceptre below and on the other side which is really damaged you can swe letter N from latino word NEMO It is about 1 o'clock when you look on coin as a watch also you can swe (hardly) the curvature of leaves if the thistle that used to be minted on it.(you can swe it coming out of lighter spot at the left bottom)It is much easier to spot when you google pictures of it to compare
Taking on account that I live on Edinburgh and in area where I leave there used to be a mansion rebuilt in 1636 on a place of medevial tower http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_buildings_g/0_buildings_-_niddrie_house.htm so everything looks like it was lying in my garden for last 343 years

Below I attached link to other forum where I added few pictures.

https://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=123298
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:53:21 PM by maxjerath »

Sland

Re: Charles II 1677 2 pence Turner
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 08:19:21 PM »
You can't see the pictures on the other forum unless you sign up.
Mike
Edinburgh
CTX 3030 / Garret Ace 400i