October 26, 2020, 07:44:47 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Problems or suggestions for the site » Pictures

Author Topic: Pictures  (Read 847 times)

Sland

Pictures
« on: September 17, 2020, 03:11:57 AM »
I, and others, do not use Facebook. I deleted my Facebook account several years ago because, frankly, it is a major cause of disinformation.

Please put dig pictures on the forum.

Thank you
Mike
Edinburgh
CTX 3030 / Garret Ace 400i

eqcons

Re: Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 12:29:04 PM »
Same here. Deleted mine a couple of years back because I was sick of pictures of people's meals, religious tracts, endless adverts, and general drivel.

grumpyjohn

• Deputy Admin
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 06:33:48 PM »
While I respect your opinions of Facebook and understand your reasons for not using it I would just like to advise you the Detecting Scotland Facebook site is a private site and unless you join it you can't see or post anything on it. The vast bulk of the posts members make are detecting related subjects.
Better to live a rich life and die poor ,than live a poor life and die rich
English by birth, Scots by choice !

Sland

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 07:33:11 PM »
If that is the case, why bother with the forum?
Mike
Edinburgh

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »
Think what John is saying is that you can just stay on the DS site on FaceBook and dont go on the main site
Alba Gu Bra'th

Sland

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 08:09:11 PM »
Think what John is saying is that you can just stay on the DS site on FaceBook and dont go on the main site
John says that it is a private sight, therefore you will need a valid Facebook login and be given permission by an admin to access the site. I am NOT creating a Facebook account.
Mike
Edinburgh

JoeCovenantLamb

• Dig Attendee
  • "There's treasure everywhere!" - Calvin
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 10:19:55 AM »

The facebook page was created initially solely to cater for the forum in case it went down or was otherwise unavailable.
Unfortunately, with Photobucket (the mainly used pic sharing site) going "pay to use" it cut down on the pics being posted here, whereas with FB it's simple to share them straight from your phone/camera.

It was always a risk that setting up an FB page would detract a little from the forum, but thanks to the "Dig details" only being posted in here, the forum has thankfully remained active.

Sland

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 02:12:48 AM »
I, and others, do not use Facebook. I deleted my Facebook account several years ago because, frankly, it is a major cause of disinformation.

Please put dig pictures on the forum.

Thank you
Can somebody please tell me what is so difficult to understand about this request?  I have worked in IT since 1980s and I am REALLY struggling!
Mike
Edinburgh

grumpyjohn

• Deputy Admin
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 02:30:18 PM »
Sland, your request has been passed on to those who organise the digs but it appears they are having problems uploading the pictures they took at the last two digs to the internet. The pictures take by anyone at a dig are their own property and quite rightly they decide where and when to make them available for general viewing be it this forum or Facebook!

Sland

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 07:40:29 PM »
Sland, your request has been passed on to those who organise the digs but it appears they are having problems uploading the pictures they took at the last two digs to the internet. The pictures take by anyone at a dig are their own property and quite rightly they decide where and when to make them available for general viewing be it this forum or Facebook!
Thank you.
Mike
Edinburgh

Sland

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 09:44:10 PM »

The facebook page was created initially solely to cater for the forum in case it went down or was otherwise unavailable.
Unfortunately, with Photobucket (the mainly used pic sharing site) going "pay to use" it cut down on the pics being posted here, whereas with FB it's simple to share them straight from your phone/camera.

It was always a risk that setting up an FB page would detract a little from the forum, but thanks to the "Dig details" only being posted in here, the forum has thankfully remained active.
Hi Joe, there are free alternatives:  https://makeawebsitehub.com/free-photo-hosting/

Imgur looks particularly good as it automatically provides links for the uploaded images.
Mike
Edinburgh

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 10:24:53 PM »
I normally take lots of photos at the digs, with the intent of updating both the Facebook page, and the forum, as I appreciate not everyone has the time or notion to do it. I am not admin here, just Jim's lady (I use the term loosely 😂) but generally enjoy blethering with everyone and taking photos.
The Facebook page takes seconds to update, and can often be sent "live from the field". I agree it was never meant to detract from the main forum. I have previously then been able to update the forum with pics later.
I'm currently struggling with a new phone to post ANYTHING on DS forum never mind photos, hence no pics of last two digs here.
However, with the Covid restrictions in place, it is difficult to carry out my usual role of blethering, taking pics of finds,  and drooling over your finds tins at close quarters. Had some comical moments of folk showing me finds on ends of spades 🤣 and putting finds down and literally running away while I take photos. Anything to keep us safe! But it's not really meeting the current guidelines. And I keep touching folks hammys 🤣😷🤦🏼‍♀️* insert rude innuendo here*
So going forward, for now, my wee role seems to be fairly redundant, and I never was much use at parking the cars anyway 🙄.
So, IF we get out detecting again anytime soon, please all post pics of your own finds here, on the forum, on Facebook, everywhere! It's nice to credit the individual finders properly anyway.

Hope to see you all in a field sometime 💛
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »
I normally take lots of photos at the digs, with the intent of updating both the Facebook page, and the forum, as I appreciate not everyone has the time or notion to do it. I am not admin here, just Jim's lady (I use the term loosely 😂) but generally enjoy blethering with everyone and taking photos.
The Facebook page takes seconds to update, and can often be sent "live from the field". I agree it was never meant to detract from the main forum. I have previously then been able to update the forum with pics later.
I'm currently struggling with a new phone to post ANYTHING on DS forum never mind photos, hence no pics of last two digs here.
However, with the Covid restrictions in place, it is difficult to carry out my usual role of blethering, taking pics of finds,  and drooling over your finds tins at close quarters. Had some comical moments of folk showing me finds on ends of spades 🤣 and putting finds down and literally running away while I take photos. Anything to keep us safe! But it's not really meeting the current guidelines. And I keep touching folks hammys 🤣😷🤦🏼‍♀️* insert rude innuendo here*
So going forward, for now, my wee role seems to be fairly redundant, and I never was much use at parking the cars anyway 🙄.
So, IF we get out detecting again anytime soon, please all post pics of your own finds here, on the forum, on Facebook, everywhere! It's nice to credit the individual finders properly anyway.

Hope to see you all in a field sometime 💛
Nice wee post Elly  :) :)
Alba Gu Bra'th

grumpyjohn

• Deputy Admin
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 07:26:02 PM »
Yes Elly, I agree with TheJim. Many thanks for your post and I hope your camera gets over it's huff and starts talking to your computer. Hope to see you in a field again soon!!

JoeCovenantLamb

• Dig Attendee
  • "There's treasure everywhere!" - Calvin
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 12:09:51 PM »

Looks like someone's been throwing out smites to all and sundry for some reason....