August 18, 2019, 10:42:38 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detector Finds » 3 hours detecting reality check

Author Topic: 3 hours detecting reality check  (Read 3301 times)

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
3 hours detecting reality check
« on: September 20, 2011, 08:18:56 PM »
Thought I would move fields and try a new area on this very large farmwhich has both large and small fields of plough and set aside. the reason for this is finds are not entirely the type to make you jump in the air and click your heels together whilst screaming whoop whoop.
So from this area for me had produced a fair few CA grotty coins, the odd bits of silver no older than bullheads, a few artifacts of no great age I moved about 2 miles away into fields that had a little background history to them, early Christian church location not known, stone coffins , old stone pier, tons of WW2 history and 3 fields away a urn discovered with human remains (historicaly)

Normally I would not bother starting a thread with photo with a pile of junk finds but thought having seen so many stunning finds shown in fact some are yet another hammered to the collection, I would just like to give a reality check to new detectorists who may think Scotland is litered with hammereds and very old artifacts, generaly speaking It is not.
To stand a chance of finding these you need a good site, it must have had people on it, the more the better and preferably over many many years and if they did a wee bit of industry or even lived there all the better, because without much going on the finds will be sparse. You may find that special place by research or even by luck, I have several farms including new permissions so who knows what the future holds for me and like the TV program it is the  Location Location Location that is important, that is what you need the permissions for.

This session was a hard uphill slog with a pile of junk to show for it and a lot of muttering and given the history not a good show, not good at all given an E-Trac and I have been doing this hobby for a long time, but I will return and try other areas in that location, I will find something it is just .......when?

Moral of all of this is persevere, don't give up, it is not easy going, pluck up the courage and get permissions they are vital if you want a chance to stare in with boggly eyes at the gleam of silver or as was shown recently the stunning glass bead, I wish you all luck and more importantly a (sense of humour you will need it).

1)brass finial 2)Fuel/oil cock 3)Brass oil cap 4)WW2 Bullet casings 5)Lifestock medication 6)Pocket watch bit 7)Small calibre musketball 8)Multiple pieces of oldish lighter dug from under a stone lined track piece by piece. Panting for breath, covered in cowpoo smellin mud with tear rimmed eyes i looked over the Clyde and thought wtf do I do this for, well you all know the answer to that. Good luck to those that need it.

Aye
Robin

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:22:57 PM by Acoustic »
This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience

s60tty

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
Re: 3 hours detecting reality check
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 08:29:39 PM »
Great post Robin , you`ve told it how it is , :D :D
PS to beginners, there is always a good find in amongst the less attractive finds .
The trust of the innocent is the liars most useful tool .

crepitis

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:33:01 PM »
Good post acoustic  :),

I suppose its days like that that make the good finds all the sweeter.

weve all heard the old cliche " youve got to walk over it to find it ", but as you so rightly say
the past history of any site is so important,  It doesnt have to be a medieval fair site or a moated manor site,
good finds can still be made in seemingly mundane places, but if there hasnt been someone there in antiquity to lose it, you aint gonna find it .

And anyway, what have you been doing taking pictures of my finds bag contents  ;)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 09:02:46 PM »
I could have told you those bottom fields are garbage Robin, I wasted a couple of days there before........

I'm waiting till he ploughs the turners field  ;D
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

kaos

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:13:42 PM »
plenty of digging there Acoustic  :D...keep at it mate  :)

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:17:21 PM »
Hi Grant me old dhoby bucket

Got to have a go at all the other fields, even for short random searches, there is a lot of them including ones close to a stone axe find, who knows? Plus I want to do quick taster sessions before playing on new pastures.
Perhaps I will still be around when they plough our productive field or maybe that honour is yours.

But I feel that East anglia is calling to me even if it is just avoid the pissy rain or perhaps it was the two posts of an individual find of 5 hammers in one session and 6 in the next, nah it was to feel warm whilst coughing my guts up.

Aye

This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience

dodie1

• Dig Attendee
  • Thats worth diggin !!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »
hard work indeed but dont worry mate one day that signal will bring up something to make you forget all the scrap ! :)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 09:22:58 PM »
Hi Grant me old dhoby bucket

Got to have a go at all the other fields, even for short random searches, there is a lot of them including ones close to a stone axe find, who knows? Plus I want to do quick taster sessions before playing on new pastures.
Perhaps I will still be around when they plough our productive field or maybe that honour is yours.

But I feel that East anglia is calling to me even if it is just avoid the pissy rain or perhaps it was the two posts of an individual find of 5 hammers in one session and 6 in the next, nah it was to feel warm whilst coughing my guts up.

Aye

Never mind mate, we'll get on the bothy field after the beet is cut again, thats where that viking thing came from
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:26:11 PM »
Cheers dodie1, I hope you are right, my 37 year wait is coming to an end, thank god for patience or is it crazyness. ;)

Sword@Sceptre

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »
Keep at it mate !, superb rare 1960's ringpull there.   Lol.

Bill

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »
Keep at it mate !, superb rare 1960's ringpull there.   Lol.

Bill

I agree with Bill keep digging all that sheite, so I don't have to  ;D ;)

(Please don't slap me next time we're out)  ;D

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 09:52:54 PM »
Slap you....how could you think I would hit a friend...I am an X submariner meaning I am sly and underhand, I am going to carefully bury all my crap in the bothy field along with several thousand tacks, copper nails, alloy foil, lead shot, it will take a long time but then again it took a long time digging it up in the first place, and then film you detecting and publish it on You Tube, with luck it will go viral and then...........Ok I have taken that to far have'nt I

Need to get out more

Aye
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:03:40 PM by Acoustic »

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 10:08:14 PM »
Excellent post as ever Robin. I don't think your day was as successful as you think though! Can't believe you didn't find one of those rare 'Buckie' lids? What kind of site are you on man??  ;D

Dont say out slider but as Robins settings don't let him find hammys, sadly they discriminate against hammered buckfast lids too  ;D