August 18, 2019, 10:36:57 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detector Finds » One of my best first finds 1975

Author Topic: One of my best first finds 1975  (Read 2070 times)

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
One of my best first finds 1975
« on: September 21, 2011, 03:28:38 PM »
Hi guys and girls as a departure from the dark side of my detecting here is a ray of light.

This was found a year after I started detecting, I had moved on from a BFO detector (I would be lucky to find a metal dustbin with this) to a state of the art IB (induction balance) detector C scope earlier pre IB TR 400 not sure of the model.
Wow how sexy it looked, all in black with a whopping size box on the front (prefer a small box myself) and a needly thing that jumped about like a pissed grasshopper and shaped like a shepherds crook.

So dumping my uniform and dressed to impress (notttttttttttt) I sped away from Rosyth in my Spitfire (car not plane) to Aberdour Silver sands beach Fife with the hope of combining detecting with bird spotting.
I knew the beach well as it was one of the first places I detected at in 74, in all of this time I never saw another person detecting so it was a robinnomates hobby in those days come to think of it there were hardly any birds, must be the Brut aftershave.
During this time 74-75 I had collected enough crap to start my own re-cycling plant and run at a profit plus of course loads of good condition predecimal coinage mostly from the grass bits, anyhoo I climbed the slope to the SW of the beach in the hope of spotting some talent and was rewarded with a high tech BEEEEEP and demented needle wobbling, I found in a depressed horse hoof print hole this Victoria Jubilee head Halfcrown, it was at hell of a depth of mmmmmmm...........3" at least.....well 2" you get the point it was deep.
That was it I thought a long fruitful hobby lay ahead, better aftershave, maybe a TR6, bird in every port, A bra undoing course, I should of known better of course and looked over my shoulder as the dark clouds of dispair were forming in a billowing mass ready to rain on my parade, was that distant thunder I heard or someone of importance laughing.

Enjoy because it is back to the darkside next with explosive endings and not forgetting the buried negro girl and the head of fruit

Aye
Robin
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:32:22 PM by Acoustic »
This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience

dodie1

• Dig Attendee
  • Thats worth diggin !!!!!!
Re: One of my best first finds 1975
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:32:31 PM »
great story amazing coin too keep em coming :)

Davie

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 05:32:06 PM »
Loved that post.....great coin  :o

grumpyjohn

• Deputy Admin
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 05:43:20 PM »
Brilliant story, brilliant find!!! ;D ;D ;D
Better to live a rich life and die poor ,than live a poor life and die rich
English by birth, Scots by choice !

reiver

• Dig Attendee
  • Etrac user
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
Great story,a pleasure to read :D :D.If you ever fancy writing a book,I'll order one ;D
Beep Beep.What's it going to be this time.

morayhunter

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:46:33 PM »
well done a very good read

Sword@Sceptre

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:23:30 PM »
Great story, superb coin, well found.

Bill

crepitis

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:31:44 PM »
It ended just when it was getting really exciting...I cant wait for next weeks episode  :o

An enjoyable read acoustic,and a nice find  :). Makes me wonder though, why on earth did the wonderful "shepherds crook" handles go out of fashion, they were so comfortable,  ;)

RossAce250

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
Lovely coin and a fantastic read  :)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 03:00:44 AM »
Nice find robin and great story!

I was 2 years old when you found that :-)
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 10:44:38 PM »
2 Years old, I suppose you are now waiting to read a general take the p..s comment.........but not at all, just seems amazing that I was detecting for one year when you were just going from milk from mum or bottle to mushed up food, you have not missed much Grant in the early days there was so much instability in BFO machines you might have dug a trench chasing a signal just to find in fact it was caused by a temp shift or perhaps some salt sand stuck to the coil.

Aye

Robin
This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience