July 21, 2019, 02:14:17 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detector Finds » 2 wee sessions today

Author Topic: 2 wee sessions today  (Read 2263 times)

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
2 wee sessions today
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »
Got out for two short stints today, first session dug about 10 holes, recovered 3 coins, Vicky penny, Vicky halfpenny and a nice silver Vicky sixpence all were the young head type.
Found a possible coin weight or measuring weight and a nice small square token, yet to be cleaned.
That was a couple of firsts for me with the weight and square type token.

Second session much harder, found enough lead to give Queen Elizabeth 1st a years worth of full facial make overs.
Finally ended with another first a Cartwheel Penny of George the 111 in poor condition but just legible.
In studying coinage circulation patterns in Scotland during the 1840's, it was determined that the 1797 cartwheel penny still then represented over 40% of the circulating pennies in circulation, followed by the 1806 and then and only then the 1830's on up. So there are plenty to find.

So all in all two quick sessions, nothing to set the detecting world on fire but nice to see so many items out of a small area.
Long may the rain keep away (small chance)

Aye
Robin

This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience

crepitis

Re: 2 wee sessions today
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »
Good to hear you managed a couple of sessions Robin with some finds to make it worthwhile.
Any ideas on the token ?

I think youve gone too far in wishing the rain stays away, you should know better. ;)

Borderreiver

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:51:45 PM »
Look forward to the token picture.Those 1806 35mm pennies arent easy to find but not as impossible as the pre 1860 Victoria ones.Thats a good coin ratio to holes dug. ;D

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:55:05 PM »
Hi Bob
Yes it was nice to get out, I found more worms than anything else but Matthew thought that was superb and it was his job to gently put them into the hole.
Strangely I never get much detecting done when daddies little helper helps, but this time I actually found more in this session than I did on return by myself, obviously my lucky mascot was missing.

Because of poor light I have yet to clean anything including the token.
Given the era seems to be early Victorian I suspect this is about that time.

Cheers  
This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Agree Robert, as for good ratio of holes to finds I agree, in fact thought I was in for a outstanding session on return.....WRONG....lost my mojo

Ally

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »
 Nice selection of coins Robin, That elusive hammie can't be far away!
Cameron loves using the Pro pointer, Still need to explain that it's not a light sabre though  :)

ATB

Ally

crepitis

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:40:05 PM »
Im afraid my "little helpers"  are now " Big layabouts"  who wouldnt be seen dead helping their old Dad out ,   ;)

Ally

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:54 PM »
We have that to look forward to, lol

Ally

Silverback

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 11:38:10 PM »
Well done on getting out Robin (and little helper!)  :)
Good to get a few nice finds along the way.
We had the girls detecting on the beach at the weekend, great fun. They found a few coins very similar to the ones I got at the petrol station on way there  ;)
Cheers, Bobby
CTX 3030
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Pro-Pointer

radlybadly

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 09:10:20 AM »
Well done Robin that's a great ratio! I always get cheeky smile when i find a cartwheel penny how can you not notice dropping that monster :) 

Hopefully catch up with you soon!

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 09:35:41 AM »
Cartweels are a funny thing, despite the amount of them that were in circulation, I've yet to find more than 3-4 in a year.

Were you in what I call the coin field robin?
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)