March 19, 2019, 09:38:36 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Beat the Doc - Identify your finds here » -

Author Topic: -  (Read 1048 times)

rupertx

• Dig Attendee
  • Threadkiller
-
« on: February 15, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:45:32 AM by rupertx »

grumpyjohn

• Deputy Admin
Re: This one has me stumped !!!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »
Only thing that comes to me is a bronze bearing that's been allowed to run dry and the steel shaft that turned in it has worn it away. The two lugs would have stopped it rotating in the supporting frame and it may have had an oil hole in the bit that's worn through?? Iv`e seen things like this before on badly maintained machinery! :'(
Only a thought though :-\
Better to live a rich life and die poor ,than live a poor life and die rich
English by birth, Scots by choice !

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:40:14 PM »
It looks hand finished to me, both lugs are different sizes and there seems to be cut marks
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
Also looking at the breakthrough point, I don't think it was ever the same thickness as the other side making it really unlikely to be machine wear as to be oblong would generate tons of heat and friction, not to mention last 5 minutes!!

It's some sort of fitment that was never quite joined, like something for stopping the top of something being a sharp edge....but what???

It's bugging me now, although I'll stick my neck ou and say I think there is some age to it
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)