July 18, 2019, 08:36:13 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detector Finds » Silver spoon

Author Topic: Silver spoon  (Read 1713 times)

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
Silver spoon
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »
At long last here is the photo of the silver spoon I found in the interesting weather conditions darn sarf.
Despite the ice hard ground it was recovered intact, needed very little cleaning and appears to be good quality, it is solid silver not plated.
Nice to find one of this size.

This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience

vikingson

Re: Silver spoon
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:04:40 PM »
a nice hunk of silver worth a few bob scrap value.......

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:27:37 PM »
 :) Great Hallmark !

Is it George III ? On the portrait.

Scrap Silver though is a devil of a job to cash in believe me I have tried and don't believe the ads on the telly especially with Ramsdens, they didn't entertain me nor a friend who also tried to sell as a result I have a mounting bag of scrap with no where to go.

Joe  :)

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

vikingson

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 01:32:57 PM »
one or two places test scrap silver and charge you but still buy from you joe.................regards

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »
Despite the nicks and dents I will probably have the spoon straightened, then mount it alongside the sessions wintery photograph.
I have a reasonable amount of silver in coins but prefer to keep the find to any cash.
This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience

radlybadly

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »
There is a collector demand for silver spoons so its collector value far outstrips scrap value

Looks like George iii cant make out the last city mint mark but id guess 1820s from the letter

i found a silver spoon last year also bent but I'm quiet fond of it that way

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:55:06 PM »
Hi Radly mate, city is London plus there is a makers mark, I agree with you, I prefer to enjoy the object not think of the monetary value, after all if I was in to detecting for this I would have given it up 38 years or so ago.

crepitis

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 05:53:06 PM »
That should look great when its straightened out Robin,  nice find.

Korky III

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »
I know a scrap silver dealer (my dad) if anyones interested PM me with the details and I shall contact him or you could contact me on korky1986@gmail.com I would give you cash for it at one of the organised digs or if close I could collect it. 42p per gram for hallmarked silver.

Borderreiver

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »
How much does it weigh Robin??.Should be worth a few quid. ;).Seems to be the popular opinion.Well decide for you what you should do with it. :D :D

vikingson

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 08:38:05 PM »
try and get in touch with( uri geller) he bends' them maybe he can restore it back to straightened i got it in first before anyone else...........regards