August 22, 2019, 07:13:21 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detector Finds » CA or Bronze coin ID needed, cheers

Author Topic: CA or Bronze coin ID needed, cheers  (Read 2575 times)

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
CA or Bronze coin ID needed, cheers
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
Hi Guys N Girls, found this recently, it is not the normal CA grot I find. Its approx 23 mil across given its decreased size, it has the feel of a hammered coin either a CA or bronze make up at a guess.

Most George/Vic coins I find do not fair well on recovery, this looks and feels different.
It has a circle of dotted lines on it and several letters which I cannot just make out. Letter I can see in a continuous line are REU and possibly another R or H. Also some fine detail lines can be seen.

So here is a challenge to you coin spotters, what is it??

Cheers
Robin
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:59:56 PM by Acoustic »
This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience

joe98

• Dig Attendee
Re: CA or Bronze coin ID needed, cheers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:09:46 PM »
 :)Hi Acoustic

Judging by the detail that is left on the coin? it looks foreign I don't have a ruler at hand but 23 mm is that the size of roughly a pre-decimal halfpenny if so and the disc is hammered thin then I suspect it could be the vestiges or a Jetton or if smaller then a possible double tournois (french).

Joe  ;)
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:02:28 AM »
Thanks for your answer Joe, appreciated. Another possible answer I received was this on another forum.

I think it could a medallion that was used as a good luck charm for safety at sea.

Obverse; St George and dragon; legend; S GEORGIUS EQUITUM PATRONUS,
 reverse: sailing ship on stormy sea; Christ and Apostles; legend; IN TEMPESTATE  SECURITAS

I thought the ring of dots would give a pointer to potential time periods, that's of course if it was a coin.

Don't think I will get any more replies as it has most baffled, not enough detail or not many seen, cheers mate.

This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience

Borderreiver

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:20:02 AM »
Looks interesting Robin although Im not very good at seeing those large pics mate. ;D

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:49:12 PM »
Hi Robert, yeh they are blown up big, it's the only way to try and pick out detail, actual size is about an old halfpenny.
It is slightly annoying as I am after a time period for field use, rather than an inherent interest in this coin. Mainly to see if the area can produce a hammy to break my appalling record for hammereds.
The only thing you can rely on here is it to be more or less continually p...ing down. 

Borderreiver

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »
Aye,its a rough day today alright.Any chance of a similiar pic to my halfpenny one Ive posted above to get an overall picture of coin/medal.

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:45:39 AM »
Thanks for your input guys it is appreciated, at least more people commented than a very popular forum down south, obviously not a stunning silver or gold hammered  or even a Saxon pommel hilt.

I have trawled books and the net, nearest I can get is a Jetton (cheers Joe) but far from conclusive, if it is, then this will whack the date of field use way back, however I need to find something more definitive than this. Perhaps this afternoon?

Aye
Robin

swed49

• Dig Attendee
  • XP ORX
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »
napoleon 3rd 10 centimes copper coin mid 1800's....ive got a couple of them...i can tell from the dotted lines goin round...emporer on one side eagle on other.......hope this helps ....EDDY.

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »
Just got back from a session (utter utter pants) but you are bang on the money Eddy, the scroll lines and bits of outline tie in with the eagle and the letters tie in with the word empereur and faint outline of back of head and neck.

Has helped with the date ie confirmed along with my other finds "Victorian" field.

Cheers

Robin

vikingson

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 04:37:21 PM »
is it a manhole cover or a coin the pic is a bit over big ,i cant figure it out...regards

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »
Ho f ho