May 24, 2019, 04:28:20 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Beat the Doc - Identify your finds here » Out yesterday! WEIRD find!

Author Topic: Out yesterday! WEIRD find!  (Read 2897 times)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
Out yesterday! WEIRD find!
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:57:52 AM »

The second good signal of the day (The first was a bullet) turn out to be a little coin, I think minim, but soon realise that its wedge shaped fat at one end thin at the other with a little v shaped split in the flan and there is no ruler just a load of what looks like foreign writing to me!

What the hell would an ancient foreign coin be doing in rural Scotland?

Was William Wallace a careless Numatist?

Will definitely need help IDing that one! Will be buying a scanner tomorrow as I'm fed up trying to get good images with a DSLR.

*been ID'd*
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:20:08 PM by thefastestsperm »
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

peterh

• Dig Attendee
  • The Doc is in!
Re: Out at Lamington yesterday! WEIRD find!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:36:04 PM »
Sounds interesting - can't wait to see the pic.

davieb1974

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 11:01:38 PM »
Seen this coin and it looks like a cracker, haven't got a clue what it is though  ???

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »
Aye! The chap who took pics of it last night at the meeting got some good views with a macro lense so hopefully we'll get a good ID. Will try to get a copy to post on here Peter.

It sure is a funny little thing! ???

I don't collect foreign so not sur what to do with it..
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

morayhunter

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:59:45 PM »
come on your keeping us all in suspense

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:20:57 AM »
Been duty since 06:30 yesterday morning so not got my scanner yet but tried to get some views using my DSLR and laptop to resize.

fahad43

• Saxon Mount
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »
looks like an Arabic coin to me, nice find.
Hammy Count 2012 = 47
Hammy Count 2013 = 45
Hammy Count 2014 = 25

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=31762&cat=500

morayhunter

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 06:21:45 PM »
hi defo arabic or indian  i have seen one similar ,the star in the centre could be significant as if indian if i am right denotes the raja who minted it . the bad news there are thousands of arabic/indian coins maybe more than roman so good hunting . also it looks medieval . good find tho ,these coins are not unknown in the uk but not that common .

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 08:29:10 AM »
Yes I'd agree this coin looks like an Indian Princely State issue pre-british rule.All Princely States in India issued their own coinage. Some coin and mint issues are very rare. I've found a few coins of this type, one from memory was issued by an Imar from a mint that was unpronouceable for the Princely State of Hyderabad.You can try and find your example by keying in the words "PRINCELY STATE COINS" but their are thousands of different coins covering hundreds of years so be warned it may take a while before you come across your particular example.

peterh

• Dig Attendee
  • The Doc is in!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »
I agree. Probably a copper paisa of one of the Indian States. There are so many of these it will be very dificult to track down the exact one.

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
Re: Out yesterday! WEIRD find!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 08:46:33 AM »
Cheers for all the replies guys, hopefully the TTU or museum will have the resource to find out which Rajah or state!!

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
Re: Out yesterday! WEIRD find!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »
Got some great news!! Stuart Campbell has confirmed that they don't wish to keep it from a TT perspective so I will get it back.

It is a copper paisia and not valuable.

In summary I did have the landowners permission, and did report the find when it was realised that it may be a coin exceding 300 years old. All adminstration relevant was completed and the coin is coming home to my coin case.

Thanks again for the help with ID, this really is by far the best forum on the net for Scottish Detectorists.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:40:37 PM by davieb1974 »