February 19, 2019, 03:54:05 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Family History » Interesting ancestors » Interesting ancestor.

Author Topic: Interesting ancestor.  (Read 5216 times)

jagsteve

• Dig Attendee
  • CTX-3030
Re: Interesting ancestor.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »
Thanks Neil, I'll go and do that  :)
I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself..

Rob

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • Minelab Master
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »
Only interesting ancestor I have is William Sinclair who built Rosslyn Chapel
Yes this is tech support.... Metal what? Have you tried turning it off and on again?

gemmavaughan

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 07:06:08 PM »
I tried the whole family tree thing but got stuck at a dead end. I know my great grandad was Egyption though so may be related to cleopatra lol  :P

s60tty

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »
I tried the whole family tree thing but got stuck at a dead end. I know my great grandad was Egyption though so may be related to cleopatra lol  :P
Your hoose must be in a pyramid scheme then ..  :P :P :P ;)
The trust of the innocent is the liars most useful tool .

jagsteve

• Dig Attendee
  • CTX-3030
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 07:32:42 PM »
Your hoose must be in a pyramid scheme then ..  :P :P :P ;)

Yeah Gemma, I heard your doorbell was toot-an-come-in  ;D
I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself..

Sword@Sceptre

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 07:42:02 PM »

You Will Need To Wait Untill The Next Upyerkilt Magazine To Find Out About Mine !.

Bill

grumpyjohn

• Deputy Admin
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 10:00:23 AM »
Done my family research and found ancestors back to the 1750's with my family name. Nobody famous though. I come from a long line of hooks, crooks and comic singers !! ???
Better to live a rich life and die poor ,than live a poor life and die rich
English by birth, Scots by choice !

Luath

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 05:58:10 PM »
I know it's an old thread, but just wanted to post my interesting ancestor lol  So far, I've got back to about 1759, with possibilities of getting further, soon.  I want to get back a bit further as one of  my ancestors was a Covenanter (I'm sure there were a lot more than just him in the family though) who had his ear cut off during the Killing Times. Am fairly sure I'll find him

Molly1

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 07:50:07 PM »
I've enjoyed reading this thread. Always been keen to research my family tree and hope to get round to it eventually.
No skeletons in cupboards for the DS family eh?  :D
My lovely Minelab X-Terra 705 :-)
Garrett Ace 250
Makro Pointer

wayoutwest

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 09:12:24 PM »
I had a similar thing while researching for a friend years ago, I was looking for Issac MacDonald,... everything led me to a dead end, until one day I got a break,... to cut the story short, he was a Glen Coe MacDonald, and after the Glencoe massacre he like many others fled for his life,... and in an attempt to further hide, he reversed his name, the guy I was hunting had suddenly become Donald MacIssac

hawkeye

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2015, 10:46:57 AM »
It's fascinating doing a bit a of research into family history. I always intended doing mine but my cousin in America beat me to it and saved me all the hard work. She has access to a massive data base and so far she has traced the male line back to the early 18th century. My grandfather was Ayrshire born and our surname is fairly common in N Ireland so as it's only a short jump to Scotland, I suspected there might be a link there. However, it transpires my forebears were originally from around the West Lothian area. At some point I intend to try and delve back a bit further myself as my surname dates back to 11th century Norman nobility. I am just hoping I don't discover we were on the wrong side at Bannockburn!  ;D
Garrett AT Pro International
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Nokta RS Pinpointer

wayoutwest

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2015, 01:43:33 PM »
I have my family history back to the 1670s [ with documentation in the form of Wills ].... and if I can prove a father son link, [ which I cant and believe me I have tried ]....then I can link our family to the Queen, via The Queen mother, and the Bowes-Lyon family

hawkeye

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2015, 04:15:44 PM »
That's quite a heritage Stewart. If you can prove the connection will I have to call you sir and doff my cap when we meet  ;D
Garrett AT Pro International
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Nokta RS Pinpointer