May 20, 2019, 04:14:45 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Beat the Doc - Identify your finds here » Counterstamped Sixpence ?

Author Topic: Counterstamped Sixpence ?  (Read 1621 times)

Briso

• Dig Attendee
Counterstamped Sixpence ?
« on: July 04, 2010, 11:53:28 AM »
Pulled this up with my Whites Prism IV some years back and always wondered what the markings may be....any ideas ??? I think its a William III Sixpence - maybe a love token ??

fahad43

• Saxon Mount
Re: Counterstamped Sixpence ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 04:18:17 PM »
quite possibly could be a countermarked token issue and some of them were completely worn away that all you could see was the ghost of an image and the prominent countermarkings.
Hammy Count 2012 = 47
Hammy Count 2013 = 45
Hammy Count 2014 = 25

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=31762&cat=500

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:21:57 AM »
Perhaps it is a William III sixpence completely worn,which was then used by a jeweller as a test piece.The marks you see are from a few of his tools which he used to decorate a lovely piece of silver.He was using these tools on your worn sixpence for testing purposes before using the same tools on the piece he was about to decorate.This practice was quite common at the time,indeed I have found a few similarly decorated sixpences over the years.

Dibble264

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »
I would have to agree with Lucky on his post, back in the days whenI used to bang metal about. I was always taught to practice on a piece of scrap of the same metal before committing to the finished item just so that you could get the depth etc of the stamp correct on first strike, nothing worse than a double strike as the die never seams to hit the same spot second time. You can see the practice strikes with the letters.
fodiendi cum stercore MMVII