May 24, 2019, 04:24:21 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Metal Detectors » All Others » Could be the bargain of a lifetme?

Author Topic: Could be the bargain of a lifetme?  (Read 6261 times)

spectra

• Dig Attendee
  • its there , just go get it
Re: Could be the bargain of a lifetme?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 01:23:47 PM »
 cheers  for the pics and story,that techies got loads of respect from me and its getting to the stage where its nearly half paid after a couple of outings , looking forward to seeing how it does in the black stuff 

crepitis

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 02:09:29 PM »
Thats a great days beach hunting and a great write up to accompany it,  I had one of the Bounty Hunter IV machines when I got back into the hobby about 2005,  I got it for a bargain price and thought it would be ideal to see if I still had the detecting bug after a 20 year break from it.

In the end I sold it after a couple of weeks and bought a second-hand XLT, but on reflection, and especially after reading your reports , I probably didnt give the Bounty Hunter a fair crack of the whip.

Its very easy in this hobby to get caught up in a spiral of swapping machines to try and improve the finds rate, before realising in most cases the finds rate is low because the finds aint there, and no amount of money thrown at supposedly "better" machines will change that.  getting to know a machine, and its strengths and limitations is the way to do it, as you have shown with the Bounty Hunter.

A great report, thanks.  :)

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 04:34:43 PM »
 :) Thank's Guys

Last week I also had the opportunity to try the detector over a field and in woodland using both coils and remarkably the wee 4 inch coil will be at home any where for even searching a field it worked fine locating a foreign Victorian copper coin and a musket ball as well as bits and pieces of non-descript copper alloy fragments.

The woods were great as well as the 4 inch Nugget Hunter can be used in the hollows of trees, it found three coins including a pound coin, a long lost 'Sony Ericsson,' mobile phone and an old bicycle spanner.

This wee search coil will certainly prove useful for reccy searching in stubble where the larger coils can't fit in.

Joe  ;)

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 02:00:50 PM »
 :) Hi Folks

Was out yesterday evening and detecting with the Tracker IV using the 4 inch Nugget Coil searching around trees in an area that has been frequented by many detectorists in the past.

Which has probably been as some would say 'done to death,' over years and decades but Ricky Blake and I had another look anyway, we both got some bits and pieces but nothing really startling, however the 4 inch coil proved quite at home getting in around the roots and hollows of the trees.  ???

As a result it managed to find a small silver ring possibly a children's silver ring in the form of a Celtic Wishbone design and surprisingly a fairly early Scottish hammered Turner (coin) from around 1614 or 1623, one side still shows the Lion Rampant quite clearly while the other side is bit of a grotty goner  :(

According to the local history books the area had been frequented by the Covenanters in the 17th century, who were hunted down by Cromwell's Roundheads.

Over beside another tree I came across two old brass hinges and then what looks like the locking hinge from an old wooden chest  ???

I just wonder if a whole chest had at one time been deliberately posed under or near the tree here and if so what happened to its contents?  ::)

The Tracker IV and wee coil was certainly picking up the signals and is still a joy to use. ; :)

Over the past four outings now to the beach and the sand searching I have found with the Tracker IV, 154 coins with spendables now amounting to just over £56.00, so this bargain has practically now paid for itself !  8)

Joe  ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:55:16 PM by joe98 »
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 02:01:25 PM »
 :)
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 02:03:24 PM »
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

dodie1

• Dig Attendee
  • Thats worth diggin !!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
very good joe excellent finds  ;D ;D ;D ;D

crepitis

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 07:30:42 PM »
Youre certainly getting a lot of fun out of using it, and its no slouch at making finds. Looks like being a Keeper for you  ;)

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
 :) Hi Folks

To round off this post I have managed to now test this detector over 'black sand,' which has been one of the reasons to try this detector in the first place to see if all the hype I had heard about the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is valid and justified!  ???

I can now say that the feeling I get with this model is that it is very much at home on beach including that of some (some beaches are problematic more so with contamination and mixed sands I know of one that has a combination of black and red sand) of the black sand beaches we have.  ;)

The last two nights Ricky Blake and myself had a look at a beach where we discovered a small gulley had appeared and this proved to be excellent testing ground for the Tracker IV using both the standard search coil and the 4 inch Nugget coil.

The sand here was full of broken rock and had black sand below !

Now I had seen a couple of episodes of the 'Mud Men,' series where in the background someone was using a Bounty Hunter model using the small Nugget coil and noted it was working away fine on the Thames foreshore.

So that sort of bolstered me into trying it as much as anything else!

The detector worked extremely well without the discrimination being needed and leaving it in all metal worked a treat.

As a result of this targets were pretty quick at being found and not a great deal of crap to contend with either.

The first night though I was up against Ricky using his more powerful White's model but the Tracker IV held its own and found me over 30 coins including a load of pre-decimal, bullets and musket balls even an old livery button came up !  ::)

The second night last night I went back to using the standard search coil to do a comparison and once again the detector found it's targets without any problem over another 30 coins again, with bullets and musket balls, weights and a cap badge.

Ricky was using one of the Eric Foster Gold Scan models of PI detectors that he has had for over ten years and of course found much more including a 9ct gold ring, but I wasn't put off by this at all as I was using a detector that a lot of people would still think is merely a toy.

But I know different and have known for many years that the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is much more than just a mere toy and will give good results if only one can dedicate some simple patience with it.  ::)

This beach search produced just over 70 coins in two sessions for the Tracker IV.

By the way a number of targets we both were caught out on over the past two nights have been those frustrating ones that no matter how far you dig you just cannot find the ruddy thing, these tended to be in holes you dig that automatically fill up with water and no matter how many shovelfuls of sand you chuck out the damn target still lies in the hole.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Certainly digging like that isn't for the faint hearted and I know that I have left coins behind because of this or worse still a gold ring?  ???

Anyway I am more than happy with the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for it is a wee goodie and a keeper.

Enough Said  ;D ;D

Joe  ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:55:03 PM by joe98 »
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 04:46:45 PM »
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

grumpyjohn

• Deputy Admin
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 05:03:28 PM »
Looks like a good one Joe. Loved reading you detailed reports on the B.H. Tracker 1V. It is a machine I would not have given a second thought about but this shows what it is capable of in the hands of an expert detectorist !
Well done and I hope many more finds fall to your little "beach demon". ;D
Better to live a rich life and die poor ,than live a poor life and die rich
English by birth, Scots by choice !

dodie1

• Dig Attendee
  • Thats worth diggin !!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 05:24:06 PM »
nice work joe it does the buisness on this difficult terrain!!  not to sure about the fill in sand holes that collapse happens a lot near the water level possibly a sand scop would help ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D