May 24, 2019, 04:28:37 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Articles Related to Metal Detecting » Metal Detecting Articles » 50 National Treasures?

Author Topic: 50 National Treasures?  (Read 1527 times)

joe98

• Dig Attendee
50 National Treasures?
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:17:22 PM »
 :) With the 'Britain's Secret Treasures,' starting tonight on ITV it is something of a quandary to see that there will be good points and also bad points no doubt to come from this program but I can't help wonder if it isn't also going to hype the hobby up to an extent that it will only entice more and more folks to take up the spade and detector? Misleadingly !  :-[

Here's another link from the papers?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/9400070/50-greatest-national-treasures-revealed.html

But look at the related articles as well I cannot help but wonder if there isn't a promotion drive happening here?

Joe  :o
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

crepitis

Re: 50 National Treasures?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:05:46 PM »
There are no finds from Scotland or Northern Ireland on it as far as Im aware, as we dont have the PAS scheme in operation here.  :-\

Peter

• DeePhoto
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »
Has anyone else noted that the phrases  "metal detector" or "detectorist" were never used in last nights programme. All finds were talked about without a single reference to how it was found/located other than Joe found it in a field. It may be my synical thinking, but watch tonight, see if its the same.
Just realised, the little lad mentioned how exciting it got when his machine bleeped!
Peter.
One Day...

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »
Watched the program the last two evenings and have really enjoyed them. Some of the artefacts shown are really interesting,with a few Ive never seen before.Their is no doubt I'll continue to watch and enjoy it.Pity it isn't on for longer and they don't give a little more time to each artefact.

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »
 :) Things are looking up Wales was mentioned tonight?  ???

I was beginning to wonder if it shouldn't be called 'England's Secret Treasures,' which would be more appropriate with the dropping of the national from treasures would be better still ?   :-[

As the program goes its okay but done in a very slap dashery manner and if more thought had been put into the structure of said program I am sure they could have included much more including Scotland and Ireland as the word national implies country wide!  :o

Joe  ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:37:00 PM by joe98 »
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV