July 18, 2019, 08:09:37 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Beat the Doc - Identify your finds here » unknown item

Author Topic: unknown item  (Read 1871 times)

callumcook

unknown item
« on: July 27, 2010, 08:49:30 PM »
Hi
Was wondering what this item was.I'ts about 4 inches long and 8 or 9 mm thick.Not sure what it is made of,thought it was lead at first but it's not.Was wondering if anybody knew what it was.I found it on a piece of land beside what is thought to be a 16th century ruin.Any ideas would be great
Callum

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
Re: unknown item
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:19:49 PM »
Could be some sort of hinge from a box shaped storage container.

Dibble264

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »
I have had a good look at this and I don't think that Lucky is right this time with the hinge hypothesis. For me it looks like the backing plate for a fold down handle from a large steamer trunk, the handle part being missing but would have been a bent metal bar fitting between the two lugs with maybe a wooden dowel type of handle. But then again, I could be wrong.

chunky5211

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:31:48 PM »
I would agree with the comments above does look like part of a hinge

callumcook

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:12:22 PM »
Thanx for the help guys...Have now found out the piece of land it's came from was used as an ammunitions depot,and may have been discarded when they closed it down.This could count towards it being some type of hinge from a box or container. :)

whigsvolt

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 04:19:27 PM »
It looks way to cruid to be an ammunition type Box Hinge in my opinion.Id put that style as medieival, and looks like a large Bible or book end or strap end or even a wooden Trung Hinge.Its a nice find actualy and if found a few cruid book or binding,s similar to this.