August 20, 2019, 04:39:18 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Metal Detectors » All Others » Anyone had any experience with a Saxon SM40 ?

Author Topic: Anyone had any experience with a Saxon SM40 ?  (Read 4346 times)

jagsteve

• Dig Attendee
  • CTX-3030
Anyone had any experience with a Saxon SM40 ?
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:15:58 AM »
Hello,
I use a Garrett Ace 250 myself but I'm taking my father-in-law to DS26 next weekend and all I have for him to use is the Saxon SM40.
Reading up on the machine, it was apparently decent enough in it's day retailing at around £300 (hand-made in the UK) and was responsible for finding the Staffordshire Hoarde (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Hoard) so it must be not too bad??  ??? ??? ???

Now my problem is this... I suspect that the discrimination circuit is faulty - either that or I'm setting it up wrong?
All it consists of is a gain control and a disc control, as well as a all-metal/disc switch.

If I have it on all metal it works well giving a single low tone regardless of what metal it is.
When it's on the disc. setting it gives a higher tone for ALL metals and doesn't seem to give any discrimination at all, still bleeping on iron. Am I doing something wrong or is the thing a lost cause?
I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself..

jacqui

Re: Anyone had any experience with a Saxon SM40 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:12:46 AM »
Never used it or any experience of this machine, sorry I can't help, i thought the SM40 was a machine gun......but i think that was the MP40...lol

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:36:45 AM »
 :) Your almost right in thinking the SM40 is like a machine gun as its build quality is like that its very well made from Essex Metal Detectors, very good discrimination and a great coin shooter and very easy to use.

They are motion models that have stood the test of time I have had one in the past and found nothing wrong with them !

Joe  ;)
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

stevie67

• Dig Attendee
    • Steve Paterson Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:40 AM »
Could bring my cs6mx with me at the weekend which your ould fella would be welcome to use for the day if ye like...
AKA Sorex...That is all. Apart from an AKA Signum

jacqui

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »
Aye Joe, was reading up on them and they seem to be quite a solid machine :)

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »
Hello,
I use a Garrett Ace 250 myself but I'm taking my father-in-law to DS26 next weekend and all I have for him to use is the Saxon SM40.
Reading up on the machine, it was apparently decent enough in it's day retailing at around £300 (hand-made in the UK) and was responsible for finding the Staffordshire Hoarde (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Hoard) so it must be not too bad??  ??? ??? ???

Now my problem is this... I suspect that the discrimination circuit is faulty - either that or I'm setting it up wrong?
All it consists of is a gain control and a disc control, as well as a all-metal/disc switch.

If I have it on all metal it works well giving a single low tone regardless of what metal it is.
When it's on the disc. setting it gives a higher tone for ALL metals and doesn't seem to give any discrimination at all, still bleeping on iron. Am I doing something wrong or is the thing a lost cause?

:) Pending on how old the model is it could be faulty for you should get good discrimination on it and it should knock out small pieces of Iron, remembering though that like the majority of detectors it will still pick up larger piece that have a shape to them or have a hole in them.

Discrimination is still not an exact Science!  ???

I wouldn't mind looking at it at the Dig on Sunday if you shout out for Joe98?

Joe  ;)
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

vikingson

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 08:15:33 PM »
i used the model before yours it was a hammered coin lover it was fantastico they are fantastic machines trial and error to get tuning right when you have this they love silver.good luck .....
regards

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »
 :) Steve

Any chance you can post a picture of the Saxon SM40 ?

For I'd like to see what version it may be for there were earlier models that worked just a shade differently?

Joe  ;)
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 08:53:25 PM »

:) Hi Steve

Yes its the same model I once used and the controls are very straight forward the 'Gain,' being the sensitivity control and the 'Reject,' being discrimination the toggle switch 'All-Metal on one side and Reject on the other,' in the All - Metal there is no need to use the disc so you should keep that at '0'.

However, when flicking to the Reject side adjust the Reject Rotary control to '5' and the Gain up to 6 to begin with.

With these settings you should knock out some of the Iron (small pieces) and silver paper etc.

And still be able to pick up coins and desirable finds!

If this doesn't work then as I have said earlier there could be a fault, and you may need to send the machine back for a check-up I think it is a David Smith that is behind Essex Detectors, he does have a web site of that name (I think).

Joe  ;)
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV