August 22, 2019, 07:35:37 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Metal Detectors » All Others » Help with Deus needed

Author Topic: Help with Deus needed  (Read 1574 times)

tommac

• Dig Attendee
Help with Deus needed
« on: September 07, 2012, 03:16:32 PM »
Anyone using a Deus able to help--only had it a short while and using it mainly in Basic 1 and i`ve never dug so many crushed cans and large iron in my life. They seem to give varying signals between 55-90 depending on depth..  I am finding the odd coin but nothing like I would have expected for the money.
I`m sure it is pilot error and  I know you have to walk over it to find it but I can`t help feeling it is no better than my old DFX300
Any tips/comments gratefully received as I know from trawling the web that there are many happy users.
XP Deus
DFX 300

crepitis

Re: Help with Deus needed
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »
Like most machines, the Deus can be fooled by large Iron, which often gives a high tone and a very high reading on the visual display.

After a while I was able to tell the difference between a high iron tone and a high tone on a good target,  but not always. There is a slight harshness and "tinny" sound to the high iron tone which, with practice you should be able to distinguish. As far as the VDI numbers go,  I never found any good targets which indicated in the very high nineties, it was invariably large deep iron or some non-ferrous junk, like brass machine parts etc.  Good stuff tended to come in at anywhere between mid to 40's and high 80's,  with silver coins ringing in sweetly with a high tone at 85 or so on the vdi.

I nearly always  used a programme which I got from the Garys detecting UK website, it only slightly varies the factory programme number one, but I found it much better and easier to use. Heres a link to it on Garys site, ( its about two thirds of the way down, in a box titled "Basic 1" )  http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/xp_deus.htm

Theres a lot of good info in Garys review of the Deus and lots of other good info can be found at the XP Owners forum http://www.xp-ownersforum.com/index.php

Its a good machine and just takes a wee bit of getting used to, but persevere and it will suddenly click and you will have it cracked. :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:09:01 PM by crepitis »

tommac

• Dig Attendee
Re: Help with Deus needed
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 06:55:29 PM »
thanks--I will persevere and try that programme.
XP Deus
DFX 300