May 22, 2019, 06:42:04 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Articles Related to Metal Detecting » Metal Detecting Articles » Long Lost Church Found?

Author Topic: Long Lost Church Found?  (Read 2377 times)

joe98

• Dig Attendee
Long Lost Church Found?
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:00:06 PM »
 :)Hi folks

Reading today's local Courier & Advertiser there is a report that Archaeologists have found a long lost Angus Church that played a significant part in Scotland's downfall to Edward I.

The exact location of this ancient Church where it is said that Scottish King John Balliol abdicated from the throne of Scotland had been lost for 300 years or so, but now the archaeologists believe they have found the site of the lost Church within the walls of an ancient Roman Fort near Stracathro that lies between Edzell and Brechin.

See the attached cutting?

Joe  ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:20:48 PM by joe98 »
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Haino The Volcano

Re: Long Lost Church Found?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
Interesting indeed :)
"You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure"

dodie1

• Dig Attendee
  • Thats worth diggin !!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 04:15:49 PM »
interesting indeed you should volunteer your services to the dig !!! :) :) :)

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 06:25:46 PM »
I may have actually used this particular resitivity meter in the photograph on one of Dr Wooliscroft's other excavation sites. I've actually helped David and his wife Dr Hoffmann with one of their surveys and was absolutely knackered afterwards. A great couple who give the odd lecture in Perth while up visiting Scotland from their Liverpool base. This is the couple who determined that the Gask Ridge was the first Roman frontier and was built long before the one in Germany which at one point was thought to be older.They bring students up from Liverpool and other universities to help them with their survey work. This couple are changing our past held opinions about the Romans in Scotland.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:32:07 AM by LUCKY »

crepitis

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 07:45:21 PM »
Very interesting article Dave. 

By coincidence I  just finished reading a book last night titled "On the trail of William Wallace" , and when mentioning Stracathro the author says "there is nothing there today to connect it with those times, but if one knows its history , it is a poignant spot ". 

Well, now there might well be  :)

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 10:47:01 PM »
Very interesting article Dave. 

By coincidence I  just finished reading a book last night titled "On the trail of William Wallace" , and when mentioning Stracathro the author says "there is nothing there today to connect it with those times, but if one knows its history , it is a poignant spot ". 

Well, now there might well be  :)

:) Hi Bob

In a hill field just above Stracathro Hospital (don't know exactly where) there is supposed to be a stone with marker on it probably old plaque that is supposed to mark the spot where a battle took place between the Scots and the English, and it was against one of the Edward's but I forget whether it was the first second or third?

But when the medieval warfare took place in Angus then Brechin seemed to be targeted and surrounding terrain including the Battle Of Brechin.

The English it is thought may have re-used (early recycling) the old network of Roman Camps and Forts all the way from Perthshire into Angus, and in a few documented Statistical Accounts of various Parishes it wasn't incommon for the odd coin hoards to have been found containing English pennies!

And intriguing enough another early medieval name is attached to a farm just outside Brechin that kind of hints at a local medieval A&E or ER with its name being called 'Maison Deau,' which had something to do with hospitals?

Could be the Knights of St. John or Templars!

Joe  ;)
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

afgingram

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »
Davy,
   The field is supposedly located not far from that chapel in your pic, in fact, it borders a field i have permission on at balownie farm. Now i know that locals have found roman coins in their gardens and also the fields around brechin are known for their coins.
 Jim
The fat pied piper of Basra

crepitis

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 07:33:28 PM »
Interesting that you mention the hordes of English pennies being found Dave.
When Dumbarton central railway station was being built in Victorian times a large pot full of Edward I  pennies was found. I think that was all the hammered coins in dunbartonshire in that pot, because there certainly doesnt seem to be any more of them around this neck of the woods  :'( :'(      ;D

joe98

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »
Interesting that you mention the hordes of English pennies being found Dave.
When Dumbarton central railway station was being built in Victorian times a large pot full of Edward I  pennies was found. I think that was all the hammered coins in dunbartonshire in that pot, because there certainly doesnt seem to be any more of them around this neck of the woods  :'( :'(      ;D

:) Hi Bob

One train of thought is that Edward's army while on the move throughout the Parishes of Scotland during various campaigns may have deliberately posed pots of coins something like a wages train at differing points along their journeys.

Perhaps these were at areas that could be quite easily found again and and these pots were meant to be retrieved or recovered at later dates, alternatively maybe someone was on the fiddle and stealing .

But whatever reasoning these pots of coins were never recovered?  ???

In 1797, a schoolboy making his way home to Hatton Mill near Kinnell, found a pot in the local burn sticking out of the bank, this pot contained 700 silver hammered pennies of Edward?

And believe it or not in the same year 1797, another schoolboy making his way home at Inverarity did exactly the same thing and found an ancient pot sticking out from the banks of the local burn, and yet again it too contained 700 silver pennies of Edward.

Strange but true according to the Auld Statistical Accounts you have now entered 'The Outer Limits.' !

Joe  ;)
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

afgingram

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 09:40:49 PM »
I read that these pots were used as a bit of a scam by people, the pots found in aberdeen contained tens of thousand of hammered coins, the museum staff reckoned this was not even a drop in the ocean of a weeks pay for the army of that time, so 700 coins must have been someones own wee slush fund lol.
 Seriously though, there are many more of those pots still waiting to be found.
 Jim
The fat pied piper of Basra