March 20, 2019, 03:46:09 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Metal Detectors » Garrett » Ace 150

Author Topic: Ace 150  (Read 1583 times)

paganfrog

Ace 150
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:44:28 PM »
i couldnt find any advice for this model so ive made apost here.

i only have the ace 150. ive had it for 2 or 3 years now. i wanted to get the 250 but couldnt afford it and jumped at the chance for the 150 when i saw it at a cheap price. i think ill be happy using it anyway as the time i use it doesnt warrant spending out lots on a better model.

apart from using it for a couple of hours on the local beach when i first got it ive not used it since but im wanting to. i didnt get any signals on the beach. but that was before i  got hold of a manual for it. 

apart from that, it there any advice that would help me? im considering using the all signals  on it.

grumpyjohn

• Deputy Admin
Re: Ace 150
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:20:31 PM »
Hi paganfrog. I have never used an Ace 150 or 250 but have done some beach detecting in my time. Firstly both the Ace machines are not too good on sea soaked sand so keep to the dry bits . The best times to go beach detecting are right after visitors leave in the evening or right after a storm when the beach gets turned over and finds come to the surface. Any item dropped on a sandy beach will quickly disappear and will continue to sink (out of detector range) until it reaches the substrata or stones at a lower level. Another thing to consider is blown sand, it can build up at an alarming rate adding inches on top of targets in a very short time. Just have a walk along any popular beach and note where most people are. This will be your area of greatest possibilities regarding finds. Also as the tide recedes check any gullies in the sand containing small stones and gravel. Along with this finds often accumulate !! Good luck and good hunting.
Better to live a rich life and die poor ,than live a poor life and die rich
English by birth, Scots by choice !

ruffdog

• Rising Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »
What John Said.

ok, Seriously.    I had the Ace 250 like a great many people on here,  It's pretty pants on the beach on anything but the driest sand.  Some say (and have been successful) reducing the sensitivity down to maybe 4 bars but once it's False Boinging all over the place it'll drive you nuts.  You say you got no signals "At all ?"   I know I've been detecting and it's been quiet but in my mind, an ACE 150/250 on the beach with sensitivity up and no discrimination  (unless you really don't want to hear the iron) should be beep, boinging all over the place.   Take out all the discrimination notch blocks,  (all metal), put sensitivity up to 2 notches down from the top and have another go, dig all the 2 way boings and mid tone, leave the iron grunts.   Don't touch the coil to the sand if you can  (although that should make it beep !!)  it WILL false signals if you touch the coil to the sand,  especially the wet stuff.

Let us know your outcome.

Toby

paganfrog

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 04:45:07 PM »
the beaches up here (caithness) dont get the heavy touristy visitors. too cold most of the time for people to want to sit there.
regular beach visitors are only the dog walkers.

i really need to pluck up the courage to seek permissions from farms.