September 19, 2020, 05:14:44 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » Ace 250

Author Topic: Ace 250  (Read 4223 times)

detectorexpert78

Ace 250
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:25:20 PM »
Hi im a new there what you think about ace 250?

grumpyjohn

• Deputy Admin
Re: Ace 250
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »
Firstly welcome to the forum. Although I have never used one the ACE 250 is by all the reports I have heard  a great starter machine. Light, easy to use and good value at the price. Many experienced detectorists keep one as a back up. The down side is they can be problematic on sand that has just been uncovered by the sea as the salt in seawater gives false readings. O.K. with dry sand and on soil though. Hope this helps ! ;D
Better to live a rich life and die poor ,than live a poor life and die rich
English by birth, Scots by choice !

whigsvolt

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 06:24:39 PM »
I have to be honest here, but i have never heard of experienced detectorists keeping or using an ace 250 as a back up detector,but hey you never know.I am still learning after 25 years in the game.Lol

The Ace 250 is very much in my opinion an entry level detector with reasonable performance at a reasonable price but it lacks in some areas particulary depth.
I used Garretts for quite a few years in the late 80,s and they are great coin shooting machines no question their but they do have their limitations but for 250.00 what do you expect.
If your budget is Small, then its a great little starting detector, but it needs to be used as close to the ground as possible so that no depth is lost.

I once saw a guy with one at a dig i was on a few years back and he was swinging his ace 250 search coil more than 6 inches above the ground, so was basicaly doing nothing with it apart from getting a sore arm.I tried to advise but it was not heeded.

I asked him what he had found later on and he showed me two broken horse shoes and a paint pot lid Lol.
Good luck with your choice.
 ;)

gasman

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:00:25 PM »
Plenty folks use the 250. If you are comfortable with the price range go for it.

Use it for a year if the hobby is still for you, you may wish a more expensive toy.

The object is to enjoy the hobby with whatever machine suits your needs.

Good luck.

kerr

• Dig Attendee
  • There can be only Wan
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:42:56 PM »
I started with an Ace 150 and I absolutely loved it so I would agree and say that an Ace 250 or even an Ace 150 would be a great machine to get ..... reasonable price and great fun.

I have only been metal detecting for just over 6 months so i am still a novice ...But the Ace 150 certainly done it for me and got me hooked so i just upgraded to a minelab safari but I will definitely be keeping my little garrett.

Kerr... 8)
Minelab Safari
X-pointer wader Li

KillieDee

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 01:25:35 PM »
Anna and I both use a Deus, but we've kept our 250s - just in case. They're great machines for beginners, and I prefer the pinpoint on the Garrett to the Deus so mine does get used now and again.

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »
I think it's fair to say most of us started with or returned to the hobby with a machine like the ace if not an ace itself.

Apart from davie's torcs and Anna's bronze axe lots of very notable finds have been made by DS members using this particular machine.

Yes it won't do everything a deus/CTX/V3i or whatever do but it's a decent way to start.

You wouldn't take up biking by buying a fireblade just to see if you like riding!

The good news about detectors is that unlike cars unless you really abuse them you seldom loose too much on resell so after a wee while u can save some money sell the ace or keep as a bum and get something more powerful IF you find the hobby is for you or if you are on a budget then you can use it for as long as you need!

I don't like the colour, build quality or love of coke but I wouldn't go with a grand for a car and expect super car performance

Perspective  ;)
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Rob the luthier

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »
I haven't used the ace 250 but I use the Euro ace which paid for itself in 7 weeks with finds, I would say buy it and if you are still keen on detecting in a years time move up the ladder a bit, plus if you decide to sell it later on the re-sale value is fantastic... :)

RossAce250

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 08:46:12 PM »
In my eyes its a cracking wee machine nice and light, easy to get used to settings and i personally would say its a better machine than the euroace just from my experience  ;D

J.Goularte

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 08:57:04 PM »
I got one and I like it so far. I use it at the beach and find lots of silver and such. Just have to dig the solid tones in the salt water not spotty ones. Otherwise its a good little starter machine.
“Not all treasure‘s silver and gold, mate.”

xterra

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 09:16:08 PM »
Great machines just learn the tones I had a 150 sometime ago & it pulled silver 3 pinces. Etc

markydoodle

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »
Hi Mate, I have and still use the ACE 250, great little machine, I have only been detecting for 4 weeks, been on three digs and find lots of coins and other good stuff.

The 250 is good value for money, its my first machine and prob be keeping it for while, its very light. I do not keep it close to the ground and can still pick up stuff at a good depth.

There are so many machines on the market, and I know myself it was very difficult to chose, I eventually went with my gut feeling and got the 250 and I am glad I did.

Good luck.

Mark

Dougie Digs

• http://www.beachdetecting.co.uk/
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »
As a newbie and only tried beachhunting I started off with the Garrett Euroace and sill have it as a back or or for others to try detecting.
I love the machine for its simplicity and after a good summer this year it more than paid for itself.
Although its not particularly suited to wet sand it can still find some goodies if you keep the sensitivity down to 2 or three bars.
Happy hunting mate !
F/Book beach detecting group    https://www.facebook.com/groups/240516389460641/

You Tube channel    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAAdFZKRZhKTv4Rr1DV8qzw

Facebook    https://www.facebook.com/dougie.shaw.94

ctx3030

garrett euroace

minelab go-find 60

prestwick

retired n luvin it