May 26, 2019, 12:24:25 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Metal Detectors » Garrett » Understanding the Euroace discrimination.

Author Topic: Understanding the Euroace discrimination.  (Read 6792 times)

marvelousmarv

Understanding the Euroace discrimination.
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »
Hi,

Ive been using this detector over the last couple of months but I am struggling with what I'm assuming is an age-old, and somewhat trivial, question! In a nutshell I'm unsure of what to dig and what to ignore. I'm finding myself spending hours and only walking 100m or so. The biggest problem I have is coming across finds which trigger both the non-ferrous (extreme left notch) but also on the ferrous notch (extreme right notch). It seems that more often than not I dont get a clear indication on the discrimination scale and the signal tends to jump around. Do I just ignore any finds which trigger on the extreme left notches (ferrous) even although they also trigger on the non-ferrous end? Am i ultimately aiming to focus on finds which only trigger the extreme right notches?

I have recently started to run in 'relic' mode (first and second left-most notches are ignored) in an attempt to miss the iron/garbage but because the find also indicates on the high (non-ferrous) end I feel inclined to dig for fear of missing something! How does everyone else decide on whether to dig or not? Should I expect a nice clean signal? Ive watched countless Youtube videos but i'm still struggling.  I run at 80% sensitivity.

Also, I seem to come across a lot of charcoal like material/mineral. I think it called Magnatite. Is this common?

Any tips from my fellow Euroace users?

Thanks,
Martin

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:17:27 PM by marvelousmarv »

Sweep

• Dig Attendee
Re: Understanding the Euroace discrimination.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
I have the ace 250 and it was doing the same at the dig today. Looking for advice on this too.   :D

marvelousmarv

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:45:43 PM »
Hi Sweep,

Glad I'm not the only one. There seems to be plenty of people with Garretts so hopefully someone can clairfy this.

Didnt you ask anyone at the dig today for advice? I'd have went to todays dig (as it was local) but wasnt able to make the time for it!

Have you had much luck with your finds?

Rob the luthier

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 10:56:25 PM »
I love my euro ace now but at first I thought it was faulty. not the case it was just me not knowing the machine, at first I used it on all metal mode at about 80% sensitivity also, I dug every signal until I got used to the machine and its tones, I now usually run it in custom mode with the first 3 ferrous discrim notched out, if its a good signal it will give a lovely consistent bell tone, sometimes a good tone which breaks up a little could be anything from a cola can to an old penny buried at a slant, I usually dig these signals because you never know, the machine I'm afraid gives a good tone sometimes to coke, but stick with the machine its excellent for the money and if it bleeps there is something there, mines has picked up a tiny pop rivet head about 8 inches down, the pin pointer takes a bit of getting used to as well but again I was the fault not the machine...  Good luck...
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.

Sweep

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 11:17:45 PM »
It was my first time out so I was a bit shy really. I found a peace medal and a George and Mary coronation pendant. No coins unfortunately. I will put some photos up when I have cleaned them.

marvelousmarv

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 09:19:10 AM »
Many thanks for the confirmation Rob. Its good to hear that you think highly of the Euroace.

Am i correct in saying that you don't bother digging anything if they register *only* within the first 3 ferrous notches? That seems to make sense but I've read on here that people have also had good finds which also registered on those first 3 notches.

How often do you change batteries i.e. Approx in hours? I'm convinced new batts improve the signal strength.

Thanks for your help.

JoeCovenantLamb

• Dig Attendee
  • "There's treasure everywhere!" - Calvin
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »
Well.. I have little knowledge of the Garrett's, but I must admit, I am almost pleased to hear that others had problems at yesterday's dig. Mainly because Ash had a loan of a 250 and it seemed to be 'falsing' an awful lot, and I couldn't understand why!

(But also, I'm more used to the Safari notifications than anything else... and even my knowledge of that is spotty at best!  ;D)

In retrospect, the ground was very dark...

(I also found a GORGEOUS 'seam' of natural clay! was like digging through grey Plastacine!)

... could it have been mineralisation that was the problem?

I've no idea how (if) the Garrett's do ground balancing?

stevie67

• Dig Attendee
    • Steve Paterson Sculpture
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 12:52:44 PM »
Pretty much all detectors false a lot...Had the ace 250 for my first year ( I miss that machine...). Iron usually hits the left hand side but depending on shape and size will bounce to the far right also. If it's constantly at the furthest right you should probably dig it but I personally never dug a decent target if it was sounding off there. Coke will bounce from dead centre to left to right - you'll get to recognize it with time. Great wee machine but to begin with you'll have to dig the rubbish to understand what it's telling you.
AKA Sorex...That is all. Apart from an AKA Signum

MagicMark

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »
 mineralisation at yesterdays dig was bad, regarding your Garretts put them in Relic mode take one notch of sensitivity and dig all two way signals. don't be knocking out the foil and I wouldn't recommend running them in all metal.

Hope this helps
TEAM MINELAB

CTX3030
Garrett Propointer

fraxis1985

• Dig Attendee
  • TEAM AT PRO
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »
hi guys, I have a eueo ace and a 250. I have similar problems, sometime the machine picking up things everywhere. what I have noticed by discriminating iron out and adjusting the sensitivity down slightly does help, but when using these machines it is worth while scanning targets that bounce around from different angles which 9/10 will pin point it down to one display on the machine. was pretty difficult yesterday at the dig as there was pretty much stuff buried everywhere. by detecting targets from different angles it does help a lot but a good ping on the head phones is always worth digging. think that its down to practice and learning certain signals pretty much the same with most machine, still learning myself. you can always check your machine out on youtube to get a better understanding of it. hope this helps guys.
You have to be over it to find it

fraxis1985

• Dig Attendee
  • TEAM AT PRO
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 03:34:09 PM »
that's quite true mark and ive heard that sometimes hammered silver reads on the foil end. as to the battery situation, it is worth changing your batteries when your machine does not show full battery, its also worth while getting rechargeables.
You have to be over it to find it

Rob the luthier

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 05:09:54 PM »
Many thanks for the confirmation Rob. Its good to hear that you think highly of the Euroace.

Am i correct in saying that you don't bother digging anything if they register *only* within the first 3 ferrous notches? That seems to make sense but I've read on here that people have also had good finds which also registered on those first 3 notches.

How often do you change batteries i.e. Approx in hours? I'm convinced new batts improve the signal strength.

Thanks for your help.
Hi if the machine has a low quick tone in ferrous I ignore it personally, I also find that a good bell tone which changes to a short  high tone usually turns out to be foil or ring pulls but I dig them because they are sometimes coins at a funny angle, if you are unsure you are better to dig the signals, if I use Duracell or similar batteries I get around 30 - 40 hours, but I know use rechargeable which I top up after every hunt about 6 - 8 hours, if you use the pinpointer a lot the batteries will be used up quicker and using earphones lengthens battery time too... :) 
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.

marvelousmarv

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »
Great - many thanks to everyone. This will help me to decide on what to dig or ignore. It seems that theres no real/definite answer to this question and everyone has thier own technique. I'll just have to keep digging.

Another question I've got it about the display of the Euroace compared to the 250. Are they essentially the same screen but with new stickers i.e. iron on the extreme left, gold/bronze in the middle, silver to the extreme right?

Also, I'm in the market for a new trowel - any suggestions? What about a decent plastic one? To be honest i tend to throw the trowel and pinpointer in the same direction and the tone drives me nuts when i get overly carried away with my potential treasure ha!

Thanks again for this help. I dont have any other way of understanding these things but hope to attend a dig soon.

Martin

MagicMark

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 06:20:43 PM »
Euroace was brought out for the European market as the ace 250 is mainly aimed at the US with its targets ID.
TEAM MINELAB

CTX3030
Garrett Propointer

marvelousmarv

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 07:00:38 PM »
Hi Mark,

Sorry i've made the question sound more complicated than it needs to be.  I was meaning more specifically around the display screen and the stickers/overlay i.e.  iron on the extreme left, gold/bronze in the middle, silver to the extreme right of the dispay.  So the display is the same as the 250 essentially but the Euroace has european stickers called 'ferrous' and 'non-ferrous' rather than 'coins', 'gold', foil' etc . Its probably a stupid question but I just wanted to clarify.

Thanks,
Martin