October 15, 2019, 05:10:22 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Buying and Selling » Detectors Wanted » Good starting off detector

Author Topic: Good starting off detector  (Read 6050 times)

kerr

• Dig Attendee
  • There can be only Wan
Re: Good starting off detector
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
What kind of price range .. You sometimes get some good deals floating around on here... :)
Minelab Safari
X-pointer wader Li

Sweep

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 03:11:14 PM »
Depends how much i can sell my golf clubs for  ;D  Really about £300

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
Should get you the most part of a T2 or easily an M6
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

JoeCovenantLamb

• Dig Attendee
  • "There's treasure everywhere!" - Calvin
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 06:54:38 PM »
Or will get you all of the Garrett Euroace - with change
(One step above the Ace 250 and also made for the European marked (as opposed to the lower Ace's USA-ness...)

Sweep

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 09:36:50 PM »
Golf clubs now sold, I have around £450.  Open to suggestions as to what I should buy.  :D

Stan67

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 09:41:46 PM »
Get a good second hand t2 for that  ;D
Teknetiks T2 se :D
Sef 12x10 coil silver sniffer :)
Garrett Pinpoint Probe :)
Garrett Pinpoint ll Probe :D
Makro Pointer  :/

2014  Hammy x 4  Gold Ring x 1
2015   Hammy x 11 (wooooo)
2016  Hammy x 9

Quest-- to get more hammies than Fergal  :D this year again best of 3 wins ;) 1-0 Fergal :)

MagicMark

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »
£450 is a good bit of money on the second hand market.

First you have to think of what type of detecting you are going to do. Because not all detectors work well on the beach.

Have a look on Staffs, he normally does some good deals.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=staffordshire%20detectors&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk%2F&ei=jckXUvL-I9OBhAe-uIDQBg&usg=AFQjCNFmyE_CyZJith_xKrn0jxDCUn2y3g&bvm=bv.51156542,d.d2k
TEAM MINELAB

CTX3030
Garrett Propointer

Sweep

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 10:22:20 PM »
What do you think of the xterra 705?

JoeCovenantLamb

• Dig Attendee
  • "There's treasure everywhere!" - Calvin
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 10:42:28 PM »
I would LEAP on the Xterra 705.
If I hadn't had a bit of a windfall it would have been my weapon of choice (and this was after  spending weeks looking at the Garrett range and going up and up...

Minelabs though, seem to be better machines.
(And you wont get the 'coke' problems!)

Rob the luthier

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »
Whatever you decide to buy, I would factor in a garrett pro pointer into the budget unless you already have one that is, I've only had mine 3 days and I don't know how I managed without it... :)...Oh hang on I didn't manage without it lol ;D

kerr

• Dig Attendee
  • There can be only Wan
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 12:40:52 AM »
Should get a good detector for that ... :)
Minelab Safari
X-pointer wader Li

Sweep

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 09:39:02 AM »
Rob, I have a pro pointer allready thanks  :)  Think im going to settle for the xterra 705 unless someone can tell me better  :D

MagicMark

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »
705 are good machines, they also have loads of options regarding coils.  If you don't want to fork out more money in the long run for extra coils. Put a little extra money in the pot and get a second hand Safari, Explorer or an Etrac. As much as I don't want to encourage taking on debt, Joan Allen have a great service and they provide 0% finance on there detectors. 

Safari, Explorer and Etrac are multi frequency machines and are great all rounder's, Means you can also have great performance on the beach and land.

Minelab is my weapon of choice, I had a Safari which is a great machine but a recently upgraded to the CTX3030.
TEAM MINELAB

CTX3030
Garrett Propointer

MarcusA

• Dig Attendee
  • Where there's muck, there's brass..... lad!
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 03:09:24 PM »
I bought a Tersoro Silver Umax from Kevin Blackburn (Staffs Detectors)  about 3 years ago. In parks etc it is utterly superb (I presently have an Explorer and a Fisher 1270 as well). However, on pastures and farm land it is limited due to its depth capabilities etc. Simply set the dic to just below "foil" and keep the sensitivity in the red area, as high as possible without  chatter etc. In parks it has produced fantastic results, including a huge gents gold ring the first day I went out with it. It is a 6th generation Tesoro Silver Sabre and any one from the 80's detecting scene will remember the Silver Sbare in one shape or form, or another.

Try Staffordshire Detectors second hand list on the web. I promise you, Kevin Blackburn will give you second to none after sales service too. His s/h machines come with a 3 month warranty and the guy is incredibly helpfull. No quible if there is a problem.

On fields and farm land I have used it and found musket balls, seals, coins etc so in that respect I think it is a great little first machine. Ultra, utlra lihghtweight and only requiring a single 9v battery. Cheap second hand. I would possibly consider selling mine. Certainly willing to bring it to a dig and you can take it for a spin.

I dont seem to see any Tesoro's at the digs (not a big surprise), but the Umax is a corker if you want  to sweep a park and clean up eveyrthing within 4 or 5 inches. Last time I was out with mine was 18 months ago and my last signal was a ladies gold ring, after which I came homer cos it was going dark.

If you get in to detecting though, you will need to step right up the scale for pastures and ploughed etc but the Umax will find you all sorts of wonderfull bits and bobs for the time being.
Minelab Etrac
Fisher 1270x
Tesoro Silver Umax
Garret Pro Pointer

s60tty

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 10:12:18 PM »
What do you think of the xterra 705?
I had one when they first came out superb machines, love silver ,can pick up coke tho, I had it for 2 years then went up to the Explorer range .
Good luck on whichever machine you choose , just LEARN it ,read the books ,look at you tube ,read reviews ,you`ll do well . :) :) :)
The trust of the innocent is the liars most useful tool .