May 20, 2019, 08:00:59 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Archaeology run Events & Digs » Archaeology run Digs Sign up & info (Moderators: Lucky LIFE MEMBER, TashaTTU) » BANNOCKBURN 700 Survey R U Volunteering?

Author Topic: BANNOCKBURN 700 Survey R U Volunteering?  (Read 3543 times)

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Exalted Poster
BANNOCKBURN 700 Survey R U Volunteering?
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »
Volunteers are required once more for the Bannockburn 700 project. Please contact Warren once again and inform him which days you are able to give a lending hand. Attached is the e-mail received with all information that you require if interested.You can either participate in the excavations which will be digging test pits. Or you can have a go at the metal detecting survey work, or, indeed volunteer to participate in both types of survey work if you so wish.

From Saturday 2nd November---- until---- Friday 8th November both dates inclusive.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:20:51 PM by Lucky LIFE MEMBER »

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Exalted Poster
Re: BANNOCKBURN 700 PROJECT
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »
                                                                                                            CONTACT DETAILS

For Mr Warren Bailie ..................................     battlefields@guard-archaeology.co.uk

Telephone and ask for Mr Warren Bailie......    0141 445 8800

For Guard Archaeology...............................     info@guard-archaeology.co.uk

No need to post your intent to participate here just contact Warren and make your own personal arragements
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:14:22 PM by Lucky LIFE MEMBER »

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Exalted Poster
Re: BANNOCKBURN 700 Survey R U Volunteering?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 09:20:51 AM »
Just heard the British Army will be present at this event which will be the last Bannockburn 700 survey. I have really enjoyed taking part in these surveys even although finds have been few and far between.

So The Last Bannockburn 700 Survey---be there !

whigsvolt

• Dig Attendee
  • Xp Deus.Full set up.Fisher F75 ltd Dst.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »
It does not surprise me really that not much has been found at The alleged Battle of Bannockburn site, with Spear heads and arrow heads all being made of iron that does not usually last long, especially after over 700 years on probably very acidic soil.

I however would love to have seen the well documented head and helmet splitting of Henry de Bohun, By the Bruce himself, when the Englishman tried to get some Glory after sighting king Robert on his horse at relatively close quarters.
 8)

JoeCovenantLamb

• Dig Attendee
  • "There's treasure everywhere!" - Calvin
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
I however would love to have seen the well documented head and helmet splitting of Henry de Bohun, By the Bruce himself, when the Englishman tried to get some Glory after sighting king Robert on his horse at relatively close quarters.
 8)

"I have broken the shaft of a good axe!"

whigsvolt

• Dig Attendee
  • Xp Deus.Full set up.Fisher F75 ltd Dst.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 05:45:28 PM »
 8)

"I have broken the shaft of a good axe!"
Yes. He was gutted at breaking the Shaft of his Axe lol.

Ian Mac

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:34:46 PM »
Hi Jim,
I have signed up for 2nd 3rd and 4th. Hopefully see you there.
If I hear of anything else I'll let you know.
Ian

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Exalted Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 04:44:11 PM »
Can I remind forum members that this is the LAST and LARGEST metal detecting survey (30+ hectares) associated with the Bannockburn 700 project. We will also have the army helping out with this last big push along with volunteer diggers and the BBC cameras with Neil Oliver & Dr. Tony Pollard. We as a team will have the opportunity to survey parts of the Carse that have probably never been disturbed as well as covering old ground to make sure we aren't missing anything. We may never get the chance to look at these areas ever again. We need a good number of detectorists to ensure that we make the most of this great opportunity to find the Battle of Bannockburn.

If you are interested in volunteering why not send Mr Warren Bailie an e-mail with the number of days you can volunteer your time. If you prefer telephoning Warren then both these modes of communicating with Warren have been posted in this TOPIC....Thank You !
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 04:48:26 PM by Lucky LIFE MEMBER »

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Exalted Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 06:41:56 PM »
Mr Warren Bailie should be sending out the information required for those volunteering for this event fairly soon. Keep looking at your e-mails---I start on the Sunday.

garethj

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
Jim,
I was hoping to spend a day  or two at this but work commitments prevent me , sorry
But will def be at the Inverkeithing one for both days.

gareth
Detecting Scotland     Rewriting the book on detecting in Scotland

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Exalted Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 10:12:38 PM »
Jim,
I was hoping to spend a day  or two at this but work commitments prevent me , sorry
But will def be at the Inverkeithing one for both days.

gareth

Many thanks Gareth for your help which is very much appreciated.Will likely be going back to the Falkland Estate for the Big Tent project come June 2014--look out for my post then please.

sinclair

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 11:47:51 PM »
thank's for the info, i will do my usual 2 day's.

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Exalted Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 07:45:25 AM »
Hopefully see you there, I start on the Sunday. Should be a really good turn out from all sources. The television crews will be there as well as Tony & Neil. Remember and brush your teeth and put your shed in for the filming that will be done.

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Exalted Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 05:39:17 PM »
All volunteers should have received a postcode for the morning rendezvous point. Start and finish times for the survey work, health and safety documents etc. BBC television crews will be in attendance as will soldiers rehabilitating from  injuries received while serving their country in Afganistan.

Many thanks for volunteering and representing DS at this survey. I wish everyone all the very best while searching, hopefully retrieving a find associated with the actual battle. Look forward to having a blether with everyone I recognise from DS.

Ally

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 08:36:11 PM »
The good lady and I have signed up Thursday and Friday next week, we really enjoyed the last one.
Then it's off down to Ayrshire for the weekend to hunt for lost Covenanters gold! A landowner has asked us to detect some fields that are named after Covenanters.

ATB,

Ally