March 23, 2019, 01:39:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Metal Detectors » Garrett » Euro Ace - Ongoing Review

Author Topic: Euro Ace - Ongoing Review  (Read 8271 times)

jrmcleod

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • TEAM AT PRO
Euro Ace - Ongoing Review
« on: November 11, 2013, 05:01:46 PM »
Hey All,

After having the pleasure of using the wife's Euro Ace (until i get my AT Pro) at the last dig, there are some noticeable differences between it and the Ace 150.  I have put in a good number of hours with the Ace 150 and got quite used to the limited tones and signals.  The Euro Ace, although a novice with it, i have certainly found it to be better and worse...if that makes sense.

I think since the Euro Ace is a popular machine with beginners, it would be worthwhile me posting a "continuous" thread of sorts updating how i find the machine so that others who want to purchase one may be able to get some advice.

OK, so the depth is certainly better with the Euro Ace than the 150 but with the better machine comes the complicated tones and signals which makes it quite difficult to grasp.  One of my initial concerns was the higher range of tones, which obviously means you need to dig them all to get a feel for what it is, this is a bit of a headache but unfortunately its the only way to learn.

The biggest issue i have encountered so far is that you can get a good sounding signal, one of those that you just know is good (if you have used a Garret you will know what i am talking about), but it occasionally hits on Ferrous.  You may get 9 out of 10 swings with the detector signalling thick non-ferrous but the odd one going right down to the bottom end.  This, so far in every case proved to be a piece of badly corroded iron.  This is my main problem so far with the detector at the moment because if you don't dig it, it may very well be a good find.  That being said, when i hit a coin, the tone really was a good steady tone, showing up on the thick non-ferrous range.  One that makes you smile before you dig.

This lead me to believe that unless i got a good solid, steady tone i shouldn't dig it.  Good or bad as this may be, (with doubts in my head on every signal) it seemed like the only way to make progress as every few steps i was hitting a promising signal.  If you happen to be on a field with very few signals, i would recommend you dig them all but a congested trashy field it is difficult to make progress.  So far i feel i will need to put in a lot more hours with the Euro Ace to build up a solid understanding of it.

My initial settings were "Zero" with sensitivity down 3 notches.  The continuous iron was getting to me so i went for "Custom" with the sensitivity 3 notches down and the first 3 ferrous discrimination out.

As this is my first time out and only 8 hours in, i am not questioning the machine, rather the user  :D

I will post another update once i am back out with it, either with DS or on my own permissions.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:54:55 AM by jrmcleod »
TEAM AT PRO

Garrett AT Pro International
Garret Pro Pointer

jrmcleod

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • TEAM AT PRO
Re: Euro Ace - Ongoing Review
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:21:20 AM »
So Day 2...

Either i was "clicking" with the machine today or it was faulty on the first day  ;) but either way the machine felt far more in tune with me and results showed.

I started the day off with sensitivity 1 notch down from max and the first 4 iron notches discriminated out.  The field we were on was pretty much free of trash and it showed.  It wasn't long before i was pulling up buttons and pieces of lead.

Most of the finds were in the 5-20cm range so pretty easy to get too.  There was the occasional excellent signal on the +25cm range which turned out to be large corroded iron, but you cant ignore them.

The only unusual toned signal was when i found an old military buckle, gave off a double type tone as i went over the buckle.

As per usual, the copper coins gave off strong "thick non ferrous" signals and were pretty easy to identify.  If it wasn't a coin, it was something similar in size.

As the day went on, and 4 hammered coins and 2 gold half sovereigns had been found by other members i was beginning to realise that i wouldn't be one of those lucky people today, but low and behold as i made my way back to the car, 20 yards from the boot of the car just before i turned off the machine i got a constant tone on the 5th from the top notch.  A tone i had heard before but this time it didn't jump around so i thought i'd found something worth while.

It was showing at 15cm, once in with the spade, turned over the soil (in the failing light), got out the pro-pointer and started searching.  The pointer was signalling at a small lump of mud which i squeezed in my fingers and there it was - my first ever hammered coin.

Completely delighted with myself and the detector.  ;D

Lets see what the next day out brings!!!
TEAM AT PRO

Garret Pro Pointer

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 02:41:59 PM »
Nice write up Jamie,   :)
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

rabster

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »
Jamie
what a great review of the euro ace , we have 2 of them here but due to illness etc we have not managed to get out with them yet
but please keep the reviews going
we will get out soon we hope to join you all at a dig we hope
a few say the euro ace is a good starter detector but it finds the stuff we are looking for !
daft question but would a euro ace not find that big pot of gold that a more expensive detector would find ?
just  my thoughts Rab

MagicMark

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:04:15 PM »
Good write up Jamie, reason you were probably getting a double tone on the buckle. will be because it was lying flat and you were getting a tone for both sides of the buckle. Some of the more advanced machines like the CTX will do this with a coin.
TEAM MINELAB

CTX3030
Garrett Propointer

jrmcleod

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • TEAM AT PRO
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 11:34:07 AM »
Mark,

I had the same thoughts.  I cant say for sure if the 150 would have done the same with its standard coil...was wondering if the Double D coil on the Euro Ace had a part to play as it went ober the buckle.

Rabster,

So far as i am aware gold will be found with the Euro Ace, the problem is that it signals similarly to foil.  As for finding a big pot of gold...i will tell you when i find it :)
TEAM AT PRO

Garret Pro Pointer

wayoutwest

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 01:29:26 PM »
I enjoyed reading these reports, I have a Euro Ace, and I agree with everything that you have wrote about,.. the tones are the biggest problem, I find that many sound the same and it takes a lot of time to hear the slight differences.... but I find it a great detector

I usually run on the `Custom` setting with the top eight notches showing.

When I find that pot of gold, I may upgrade it,.. but until that time comes, I am happy with what I have
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:31:09 PM by wayoutwest »

fraxis1985

• Dig Attendee
  • TEAM AT PRO
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 02:21:56 PM »
Well done on your first hammered mate, loved the euro ace and now use the at pro  :)
You have to be over it to find it

jrmcleod

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • TEAM AT PRO
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »
Well done on your first hammered mate, loved the euro ace and now use the at pro  :)

I too now use the AT Pro.  I enjoy it and my finds have definately increased with it.  I use it mainly in Standard Mode but i am slowly starting to use Pro Mode.  Just need to get out more
TEAM AT PRO

Garret Pro Pointer

fraxis1985

• Dig Attendee
  • TEAM AT PRO
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
If its any help when I got mine I chucked it on pro mode custom with 35 iron discrimination and iron audio on all the time, its a bit of a pain when there is a lot of iron in the ground but will help you identify good targets next to iron targets, its an awesome machine and you don't need to run back to the car if you caught in a shower lol excellent machine for the money I would like to see a machine in the same price bracket beat it, go team Garrett  :laugh:

jrmcleod

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • TEAM AT PRO
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »
Yeah, i do all of that exce[t leave iron audio on.  Will try that.

I think we should have a Team Garrett.  There are plenty of us.
TEAM AT PRO

Garret Pro Pointer

fraxis1985

• Dig Attendee
  • TEAM AT PRO
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 03:26:30 PM »
Defo mate the garretts seem to be clearing up at the moment lol :)

wayoutwest

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 04:08:01 PM »
When I first started with the Euro Ace, I watched these training videos, I found them very helpful, and I suggest anyone who is looking to buy a Euro Ace, show have a look at them

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_euro_ace_library_videos.aspx