May 20, 2019, 10:37:49 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Meet the Members » Members' Mugshots » hi there from hamilton, new to the hobby and the forum,

Author Topic: hi there from hamilton, new to the hobby and the forum,  (Read 4713 times)

the auld yin

hi there from hamilton, new to the hobby and the forum,
« on: December 03, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
have just recently retired from working, have always had a notion for metal detecting, reaaly don't know how or where to start, any advice would be appreciated,   john

maxwell8tre

• Deputy Admin
  • Exalted Poster
    • Diggin' Scotland's Past finds blog
Re: hi there from hamilton, new to the hobby and the forum,
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »
Hi and welcome!

You can't go wrong with the Garrett Ace 250 as a starter machine. If you like your gadgets and can fairly easily suss things out, I would suggest going for something like the Teknetiks T2, Minelab XTerra 505 or 705. These will give you a numbered target display, and are a fair step up from the 250 capability wise.

A pinpointer is a must to ease frustration when finding the item after you've dug a hole, along with a mini shovel and a finds pouch (bum bag works).

Those would be my top starter tips to look into! Other than that, welcome and good luck out and about!
GCC

CTX3030

the auld yin

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »
strangely enough had been looking at garrett ace 250 on ebay, this is coming in at £184, this includes all extras,  according to ebay the seller has sold 14 in 2 days, so it looks as if the price is ok,  thanks   john

MagicMark

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 04:36:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Ace 250 is where a lot of people start including myself. I now have a CTX3030 though   ;D
TEAM MINELAB

CTX3030
Garrett Propointer

grumpyjohn

• Deputy Admin
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
Hi John and welcome to the forum ;D The ACE 250 is a great starter machine and you would get a fair price second hand for it  if you decided to upgrade at a later date. Only thing I would add to what has been said is a decent pair of boots (avoid steel toecaps !!) and some warm, waterproof clothing. A lot of detectorists wear ex. wd  clothing which is cheap and hard wearing !!
Better to live a rich life and die poor ,than live a poor life and die rich
English by birth, Scots by choice !

RossAce250

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum if you are interested in an ace250 i have one for sale for £140 pm me if interested hope you get out there soon and start finding the goodies

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:13 PM »
Hi John, welcome to the forum  ;)
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

Rob the luthier

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:07:26 PM »
Hi John & welcome, if you are intending on doing beach hunting bear in mind that most vlf detectors will be okay on dry sand but not wet sand, there are some that do the job very well on both wet & dry sand which some of the guys on here can recommend, my friend had a minelab safari which was a great all rounder, working wet sand and inland no problems...good luck...    ;D
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.

Stan67

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 04:48:33 PM »
Hi John , welcome to the forum mate plenty advice on here always willing to help out  :) The Garrett Ace is a great machine to start out with highly recommend it  ;D
Teknetiks T2 se :D
Sef 12x10 coil silver sniffer :)
Garrett Pinpoint Probe :)
Garrett Pinpoint ll Probe :D
Makro Pointer  :/

2014  Hammy x 4  Gold Ring x 1
2015   Hammy x 11 (wooooo)
2016  Hammy x 9

Quest-- to get more hammies than Fergal  :D this year again best of 3 wins ;) 1-0 Fergal :)

Barrie43

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 06:44:29 PM »
Hi John, welcome to the forum, I started with a garrett euroace fantastic detector but doesn't like wet sand or cokey beaches, then once I was hooked bought a minelab Safari :D
Regards
Barrie
CTX3030
Team Minelab
Garrett Euroace
Garrett Pro Pointer

the auld yin

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
hi barrie, like all the others, thanks for your info, didn't realise there was so much choice in detectors, though the ace 250 seems to get glowing reports for beginners, i have dropped the hint to my family so maybe they will surprise me at christmas,
     with no knowledge of detecting and not knowing where to start digging, do i need permission etc, i am finding it a bit of a minefield,( pardon the pun) but i am sure that guys like yourself and others on the forum will keep me right,   john

Rob the luthier

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 07:40:23 PM »
Hi John most land is owned by either farmers estates or council and require permission :( but beach's most but not all are free to detect, you can obtain a free permit which is worth carrying around with you... http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/coastal/metal-detecting/
Also this map is great for checking out scheduled land or history of Scottish finds and landmarks etc. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpastmap.org.uk%2F&ei=0ieiUuS8HvKd7gam-YC4Dw&usg=AFQjCNFZdGuCr5X6jzfx2MWYa_BfxYBsfA&sig2=tTVnlRvWOdOlbAO5uxzh-g&bvm=bv.57752919,d.ZGU

the auld yin

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
hi there, thanks for info, have applied for permit, now looking at maps, have you any recomendations for beaches, not a lot in hamilton,  thanks   john

Rob the luthier

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 09:52:22 AM »
hi there, thanks for info, have applied for permit, now looking at maps, have you any recomendations for beaches, not a lot in hamilton,  thanks   john
I'm from the Scottish Borders John so I don't know any beach's near you but try to get a beach that is popular and attracts loads of people, or detecting in the woods can be great  but again somewhere that has been used for years, the older the trees the better... Good luck...    ;D

Korky III

• Dig Attendee
  • Show me the Tanners!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 09:57:21 AM »
Welcome John, I'm just down the road from you in Blantyre! Happy hunting and good luck!

Teknetics T2
Fisher 1266 x Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer

Team T2