March 19, 2019, 04:24:32 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Forum News » Out & About

Author Topic: Out & About  (Read 2108 times)

reiver

• Dig Attendee
  • Etrac user
Out & About
« on: February 19, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »
Got permission from the wife and landowner for tomorrow :D.Me and Roman Ray's brother are heading to Jedburgh,for the day.Acres of undetected pasture.{allegedly}.So here's hoping.I'll keep you posted.Anyone else out this weekend?. :-\
Beep Beep.What's it going to be this time.

davieb1974

• Dig Attendee
Re: Out & About
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 08:53:17 PM »
Hopefully get out for a couple of hours tomorrow, ground here is pretty solid with the frost though. Hope the pasture produces some great finds for you  :)

morayhunter

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:26:09 PM »
the ground is like concrete up here again and forecast for tonight is -11 so looks like no detecting this week end and i have just acquired new land on two farms 130 acres on one never been detected and 360 acres on another farm also undetected the second is a mixed arable and pasture the first just pasture so will have to get a low freq machine for more depth me thinks ,wife doesnt know about plans for new machine yet lol. ;)

reiver

• Dig Attendee
  • Etrac user
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:48:55 PM »
Did'nt have much luck today.Loads of trash and four coins that are so thin you cant make them out.M.C says three of them are Turners but who knows?.It was great weather wise.Hardly any finds less than 6" deep,most at least8 to 12",lucky it was easy digging.It was all pasture that had'nt been ploughed for many a year.The farm next to it has a Peel ruin and a old settelment.Already working on the land owner :-\.Morayhunter,If your wife is like mine,trust me SHE KNOWS ;D.

kaos

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 09:10:56 PM »
usualy where you get turners there's a good chance of a hammie...turners are old scottish hammered copper coins ;)
Cheers Stuart.

reiver

• Dig Attendee
  • Etrac user
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »
I'ld like to think so.Everything is just so deep I get a lot of mixed signals.I think it's a case of digging nearly everything :(.

chunky5211

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 09:14:39 AM »
Well done reiver as kaos says if there is turners there is a good chance of a hammered just have to clear the crap and the good stuff will start to pop up when in doubt to it out  ;D

morayhunter

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
aye above info spot on and if your finding turners a silver charlie might appear and scottish silver coins are more collectable than their english counterparts  ;D ;D