June 19, 2019, 10:40:00 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Articles Related to Metal Detecting » Metal Detecting Articles » Neolithic Orkney Venus to be taken on Scottish tour

Author Topic: Neolithic Orkney Venus to be taken on Scottish tour  (Read 1213 times)

TC

Neolithic Orkney Venus to be taken on Scottish tour
« on: March 09, 2010, 01:09:48 PM »
Neolithic Orkney Venus to be taken on Scottish tour

SCOTLAND’S earliest human face, the Orkney Venus, is to go on temporary display at venues in Argyll and Inverness-shire.

The 5,000-year-old figurine, which is also known as the Westray Wife, was discovered last summer by archaeologists excavating the Links of Noltland on the Orkney island of Westray. The figurine is the only known Neolithic carving of a human form to have been found in Scotland.

The Venus is made from sandstone and depicts a human face and body, and its name comes from a resemblance to prehistoric carvings from elsewhere in Europe, which are often referred to as Venus figurines. It will be displayed at Kilmartin House Museum at Kilmartin, Argyll, from April 2-18, and at Urquhart Castle, near Drumnadrochit, Loch Ness-side from April 22-May 9.

The Venus will then return to Orkney for the summer season, first at Westray Heritage Centre and then at Orkney Museum in Kirkwall. Minister for Culture and External Affairs Fiona Hyslop said: “By taking it on tour across Scotland we want to ensure that as many people as possible get to see the Orkney Venus and find out more about the vast amount of activity that is going on to protect and enhance our rich archaeological heritage.”

Richard Strachan, senior archaeologist for Historic Scotland, said: “The Links of Noltand is one of the most fascinating sites in Scotland, with extensive evidence still surviving about the people who lived there from the Neolithic to the Bronze Age.”

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
Re: Neolithic Orkney Venus to be taken on Scottish tour
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 08:34:49 PM »
What a wonderful and facinating read, truely a fantastic find. Not so long ago i found a piece of lead with a human face as decoration. Just can't wait to receive feedback from the TTU once it has been processed. A bronze age burial site is located just a few yards away from the findspot ,however I think my find is either early medieval or later in date. Could be a lead brooch,whatever it is I've only seen one artefact similar to it,an anglo saxon lead face brooch.

morayhunter

Re: Neolithic Orkney Venus to be taken on Scottish tour
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 06:42:57 PM »
heres a pic of the lady