October 23, 2019, 10:00:43 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Metal Detectors » All Others » Deus or CTX3030

Author Topic: Deus or CTX3030  (Read 3742 times)

jrmcleod

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • TEAM AT PRO
Deus or CTX3030
« on: April 09, 2015, 01:57:59 PM »
Hey All,

I have taken a short break from detecting, too much other stuff going on at the moment.  Things should be getting quiter soon so will be looking to upgrade my detector.

I have 2 in mind, the Deus or the CTX3030.  I have always been a Garrett owner but i want something that gives me that little bit more.  Whichever detecor i buy it will be the one i hold onto for the forseeable future.

I know many of you swear by the CTX3030 and many of you swear by the Deus but what i am wanting is opnions from those of you who have or do own both.

I know the CTX is more expensive but is it worth the extra over the Deus?
TEAM AT PRO

Garrett AT Pro International
Garret Pro Pointer

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
Re: Deus or CTX3030
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 04:09:11 PM »
It depends where most of your detecting will be done. If it will be mostly pasture then I would go with the CTX, if mainly stubble and ploughed I would go with the Deus. Also, if you intend to detect wet sand at the beach on a regular basis the CTX is far superior to the DEUS on the beach.

I bought a CTX because 90% of my own permissions are pasture and the CTX excells there. However I was finding that on the DS digs , mainly on stubble that I wasnt convinced the CTX was doing the business for me, so I bought a DEUS to compliment the CTX.

.  Minelab machines are very deep but they do like the coil to be very close to the soil, with as little air as possible between them,which as you know isnt always possible on stubble. The DEUS on the other hand isnt as deep as the CTX but has no problems with air between the coil and the soil.

CTX is obviously a lot heavier than the DEUS, but its waterproof and built like a tank. The DEUS is the last word in convenience and lightweight.  I own both machines and would hate to have to choose between them to be honest. Do you know anyone near you who has one or other of the machines that you could try to see if one suits you better than the other ?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:14:07 PM by crepitis »
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

garethj

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 05:27:42 PM »
It depends where most of your detecting will be done. If it will be mostly pasture then I would go with the CTX, if mainly stubble and ploughed I would go with the Deus. Also, if you intend to detect wet sand at the beach on a regular basis the CTX is far superior to the DEUS on the beach.

I bought a CTX because 90% of my own permissions are pasture and the CTX excells there. However I was finding that on the DS digs , mainly on stubble that I wasnt convinced the CTX was doing the business for me, so I bought a DEUS to compliment the CTX.

.  Minelab machines are very deep but they do like the coil to be very close to the soil, with as little air as possible between them,which as you know isnt always possible on stubble. The DEUS on the other hand isnt as deep as the CTX but has no problems with air between the coil and the soil.

CTX is obviously a lot heavier than the DEUS, but its waterproof and built like a tank. The DEUS is the last word in convenience and lightweight.  I own both machines and would hate to have to choose between them to be honest. Do you know anyone near you who has one or other of the machines that you could try to see if one suits you better than the other ?

Great reply its like a breath of fresh air to get a balanced ,factual and informative reply instead of the 'X is better than Y yes but Y is better than X.
Maybe i have been watching too much of those political debates on TV at the moment lol

G

Dougie Digs

• http://www.beachdetecting.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »
Yep , as Gareth said... an informed reply to the post ..... well put Crepitis ... I have never seen such bias towards " one " machine in the various forums and groups by Deus owners ...each machine have their advantages and suitability as Crepitis says... depends on your most frequent use...  ie turf or surf ?  Both will give results but as a beach detectorist , for beach use ,  I would opt towards the Ctx   IMHO .... that said I would never advocate any particular machine , its down to research around your specific needs , there are many , possibly too many machines out there to consider , hope you make a considered choice after digesting the input from some very experienced detectorists in here  ....  GL and HH
F/Book beach detecting group    https://www.facebook.com/groups/240516389460641/

You Tube channel    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAAdFZKRZhKTv4Rr1DV8qzw

Facebook    https://www.facebook.com/dougie.shaw.94

ctx3030

garrett euroace

minelab go-find 60

prestwick

retired n luvin it

P0k3Rman

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 08:32:26 PM »
...I agree fully with crepitis's practical observations and good advice. You won't be disappointed by either machine, as I also have both!

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 08:48:58 PM »
Yes a very good review Bob :)  and I don't have any of them  ::) ::)
Alba Gu Bra'th

jrmcleod

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • TEAM AT PRO
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 02:26:15 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys.  Makes it even harder though as most of my permissions are ploughed and pasture so about 50-50, and like as mentioned DS can be 50-50 too.  I dont do much beach detecting either.

I know the price without the control for the Deus is half that of the CTX but i guess my next question is...is the control necessary? 
TEAM AT PRO

Garrett AT Pro International
Garret Pro Pointer

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 03:03:53 PM »
If you like tinkering about with programme settings the controller is pretty much a must. The same goes for any updates to the software, they cant be done without the controller. However if you have access to a controller through a mate who has one then you can do the updates etc via his controller.

If I had to have just one machine for a 50/50 pasture/stubble split then I would go with the CTX.  I just feel that it outperforms the DEUS very slightly and is more adaptable, just my opinion though.
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

spectra

• Dig Attendee
  • its there , just go get it
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »
Having used the Deus regularly for 2 years  it's a lot of bang for your Buck
Fastest reaction time on targets than any other machine out there
Abilities to choose preferred frequency
break  down  portability and much lighter to use than any other
Depth equal to CTX on low to mid depth targets which are small , it will equal the CTX on larger targets on extreme depth
Based on comparisons with CTX users in the field

That said a customised program most probably based on the preset GM program will most likely have to be created by the user to achieve that kind of depth,setting the tones right to suit your ear will be the most important part in pulling out the deep targets

Only used the CTX for around six weeks so early days in regards to its strong points  /5outings 4 silvers , 3  of those silvers on one outing in a rough ploughed field
Think it will go deeper and will stand the weathering and hard use it will be put through in the next 2 years  :) ;)unlike the Deus  :D >:(the ws5 headphones usualy need fixing and the shafts don't weather well , black colouring seems to erode from shaft
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:01:09 PM by spectra »

forgotten Past

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 08:47:18 PM »
Deus or Ctx..You deffo need both imo. ;)

s60tty

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 07:33:51 AM »
Hey Jamie, all good info from the folks there mate, remember when you had a shot of my minelab explorer you just didn't like the weight and the noises due to my settings being quite hot, don't let that experience put you off minelabs, whatever machine your gonna go for you will have to retrain your ears to all new noises, you just need to look at all the great finds that are made with the machines you are thinking of, they all find targets if your lucky enough to walk them  :)
The trust of the innocent is the liars most useful tool .