September 19, 2018, 10:21:12 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Problems or suggestions for the site » Ref: “DS digs gone?”

Author Topic: Ref: “DS digs gone?”  (Read 3678 times)

Sam

• Dig Attendee
  • Team Minelab! -On ‘Safari’
Ref: “DS digs gone?”
« on: January 07, 2018, 08:50:55 PM »
   - -Quoting Muddy “Are DS digs gone forever?”- -

A thought occurred to me that these online forums have a running cost, bandwidth usage, admin. etc. and with no digs being held there’s no money coming in to support it.

What happens when the money runs out in the meter... is it lights out?

Maybe anyone still using the forum should be clicking these banner ads like a mad man😁, keeping the wolf from the door. Or would that just be like the fiddle players on the Titanic...  Time will tell... 🙂

swed49

• Dig Attendee
  • minelab e-trac
Re: Ref: “DS digs gone?”
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:57:58 PM »
Haven't seen admin or mods on in months

Sam

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:46:09 PM »
The troops are getting restless😁

hoaxed

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »
Can the group organise something amongst ourselves if there's no response from mods or owners. Such a shame to allow a fantastic wee club go down the pan.

Bluetoon15

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 03:36:08 PM »
I have yet to attend a dig/rally due to work commitments (shift worker) but it would be a shame for no more digs/rallies to happen.

I don't yet have any permissions on the land, mainly go to beaches, so could not organise a dig/rally.

Living in Peterhead, and not from this town, I am not too sure of the history around here and what type of finds are found.

If anyone up my end of the world has land and would need help organising something then let me know and I will help in any way that I can.

Apart from finding "stuff" I am assuming that the digs/rallies are good meeting times and a time to exchange ideas and show off what is found?

So if anyone would like a hand in organising anything then let me know...

Many thanks for listening.

Tony
Peterhead
Garrett AT Pro International

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »
Aarrrhhh just typed a big long message and lost it as the signal was gone and backtracking wiped it!

Will type it all again when my fingers thaw out
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 03:17:11 PM »
Testing testing  ;)
Alba Gu Bra'th

Kyt2016

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 04:59:34 PM »
One two, one two   8)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 11:59:34 PM »
To be quite honest guys back when I stopped working before to concentrate on providing a constant stream of new land I didn’t anticipate the levels of apathy we would encounter.

So with Everyman and his dog wanting to be a digs organiser as well and starting to get subsidised by my fiancées salary again I had to bite the bullet and return to work!

Basically I’m using 80% muscle power and my brain is running on auxiliary maybe 5% tops on night shifts which include ever other Saturday night and EVERY Sunday night so as I mentioned in the final post I made stating that without help with the digs there wouldn’t be any for a while due to returning to work.

On a happier note I’m only going through £100 fuel per month now rather than per week!

However all good things come to an end and partly because of the domestic ayatollahs influence it looks likely I’ll be going back to the land of the suit and tie where 1% muscle power will be used and 90% of my brain again! And all the prince2 and Management qualifications will actually help rather than just pad out a CV....

This will mean no working weekend but that’s no better as it means in the office all week so no chance to run round farms like a blue arses flea!

More and more forums are suffering due to Facebook etc and with that and low dig numbers etc I was coincidentally feeling very very low (something I don’t find easy admitting) so have stepped back from detecting.

I could still run digs but due to tiredness and being night shift wouldn’t have been able to stick about too long and we know how that worked out before with the bitching and moaning so I just haven’t.

As for the lights going out as mentioned in the other thread, as it happens the annual hosting fee is due next month but I’ve no intention of not paying it as it would be criminal to let all the information and work all of you have put in over the years just disappear.

Ironically the Adsense was mentioned, it’s funny because if just ten percent of our monthly visitors clicked an ad when they looked in, all costs would be covered without running any digs but apathy again means each person in their bubble leaves that for someone else...

Anyway I wish you all a great 2018
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 10:09:17 AM »
Well done you for paying the hosting fee Grant ! C'mon guys click some ads when you are on  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:42:44 PM by TheJim »
Alba Gu Bra'th

Uncle Bob

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 11:03:36 AM »
Good to see the updated post Grant - thank you, it's appreciated, and it puts everyone in the picture rather than leaving them wondering and second guessing.

Well said The Jim.  It isn't hard to click on an ad every time you visit the Forum, and it means the accumulated info remains available to everyone, old and new.

There's life in the old (sea) dog yet!

I'm off to do a click ...

Bob.

gasman

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 08:49:07 PM »
 Haven't been to a dig for a long time too many grandchildren not enough time.

I visit the site most days for a wee look.

Point taken, Ive had a very clicky visit today.............

shona

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 11:03:02 PM »
Thanks for the update Grant. I will try my best to click the ads but some of them are rather unappealing >:(
However I have just spotted one for magnetic signs, surely I can't go wrong with that!
Shona

feelau

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »
Thanks for clarifying everything Grant, it is much appreciated  :)
Plenty enthusiasm, plenty rubbish and lots of bits and pieces
Gold Roman Coin

Sam

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 06:46:56 PM »
Thanks for the update Grant and thanks for all the digs you’ve held over the years. This club/forum was a big help in getting me started with detecting 3+ years ago. I always enjoyed my weekend road trips down south for the chance of a silver or two :).

So cheers, all the best and GL with your new career.

Sam.