December 13, 2018, 01:58:27 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Problems or suggestions for the site » Malware

Author Topic: Malware  (Read 1294 times)

Chilgrove

• Dig Attendee
    • www.caltechlifts.co.uk
Malware
« on: November 17, 2015, 07:48:51 PM »
It may be of interest that I use what I consider to be an effective anti-malware program.  It's free for one thing.  Malwarebytes it's called.  Because it is popular there are loads of copycat nasties so be careful when downloading.  For example don't do what my son did.  He typed into the google box the word Malawarebytes.  Note the spelling mistake.  It was a nastie.  Also assuming you want the free version, don't click the professional button;  the free version is fine.  I also use Firefox for my browser and have never had any problems with any of the forums I use.
My anti virus is AVG.  I often run the Malwarebytes several times per week.  I also use CCleaner several times a week to clean out any unwanted cluttering stuff.  There are people here who know much more about computers than I so it might be interesting to see what they think.  I use a Windows computer.
Howard

Chilgrove

• Dig Attendee
    • www.caltechlifts.co.uk
Re: Malware
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 08:01:40 PM »
Again, using a Windows computer, use the Disc Cleanup and Defragmenter frequently.  Both inbuilt to the machine.

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:51:59 PM »
Hi Howard,

You wouldn't get a problem from this forum anyway it's infected downloads and phishing emails that are the real problem. This site is secure

All paid for forums are very secure because the hosting company protect and backup your system constantly.

The 'freeforums' I can't be so sure about as there's no such thing as a free lunch ;-)
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

tommylee

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:04:05 PM »
Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM) is the most effective scanner to find any kind of bug on a computer. It's free as a scanner  but the pro version isn't,  for the money can replace with success most of the antiviruses. The AVG isn't great, I think. Kaspersky, Norton (bit heavy for older machines) and Eset (maybe a bit complicated for home users) used to be the best three on the market for last 10 years, and that's still true.

Ccleaner is a nice piece of software, as long as you won't touch registry tool, that thing in my opinion is still making more mess than is helping.
Disc defrag is works automatically on Windows 7 and newer ones, there is no need to run it. Ccleaner is doing good job in cleaning system from trash, and when you are using it Disk Cleanup isn't really that much needed.

I'm an IT technician, working in the business for most of my life ;)

Chilgrove

• Dig Attendee
    • www.caltechlifts.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 09:40:58 PM »
Must admit I have never had even a hint of an issue with the DS forum.
Howard.

whigsvolt

• Dig Attendee
  • Xp Deus.Full set up.Fisher F75 ltd Dst.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »
Hi Howard,

You wouldn't get a problem from this forum anyway it's infected downloads and phishing emails that are the real problem. This site is secure

All paid for forums are very secure because the hosting company protect and backup your system constantly.

The 'freeforums' I can't be so sure about as there's no such thing as a free lunch ;-)

Bearing in mind what you have said Grant how does that allow malicious emails to be sent to members if the site is secure within.
Technicaly and if this is the case then there would be no need to prevent members from looking at other member profiles in order to find posts quicker.  It's a total ball ache having to type in the search bar to try and find a post and know of no other forum with the same level of security that prevents this.
Just a thought Grant.
 8)