September 22, 2018, 08:34:41 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Problems or suggestions for the site » Question concerning the email security of the site.

Author Topic: Question concerning the email security of the site.  (Read 1432 times)

whigsvolt

• Dig Attendee
  • Xp Deus.Full set up.Fisher F75 ltd Dst.
Question concerning the email security of the site.
« on: January 19, 2016, 11:27:27 AM »
Right here goes . Admin please don't bite my head off but wanted to ask a question about the site security with regards to members getting abusive emails from unwanted spammers,and the closure of the member profile access to combat this.

I read this on another thread about Malware which Grant answered.
"You wouldn't get a problem from this forum anyway it's infected downloads and phishing emails that are the real problem.
This site is secure"unquote.

Now bearing in mind what Grant has stated  here that the site is secure and I accept this as being the case, then why is the profile access restricted. I have been told that it is because certain members have had abusive or unwanted emails from outside the forum. Surely this could not happen with the on board security here on the forum.

However if it was emails from members within the forum would it not make sense to inform these members who send abusive emails and warn them. My own profile does not allow other members to email me anyway eccept the Admin team for sending dig info.

As I have said in the Mal ware post that Grant has already answered it, is a real pain in the ass trying to find posts and find it much easier using the profile search system.
constructive and honest comments appreciated.
Thanks
Keith

I
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:37:24 AM by whigsvolt »

swed49

• Dig Attendee
  • minelab e-trac
Re: Question concerning the email security of the site.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »
Only Grant can answer this I think

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 06:20:15 PM »
Never thought about it before but just went in to my profile and hid my email address so should have on problems now.
45%, Cheated not defeated.

General......Waste

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 06:23:56 PM »
Iv never had a problem .but I think it was most likely new accounts made up just to spam.
CTX
Wader pointer
Evolution river scoop.
Gold rings.2016. 4
 Silver rings.2016. 5
 if pull tabs were worth a penny I'd be rich.

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »
That's the thing!
Members personal details are their own, if they want to give a forum member their email address they are welcome to.

However it's not for DS to make people's personal email addresses available to others without the express permission of the forum member.

In any case you don't need a persons personal email address to message them as you can click the envelope icon under the name on any post they've made.

Also to search their previous posts you can tailor any search to posts by a specific user anyway
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

whigsvolt

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:57:23 PM »
Never thought about it before but just went in to my profile and hid my email address so should have on problems now.

The reason I was given after asking why we were not allowed to access member profiles was that certain members were being sent unwanted spam emails to their email adress on their profile page, so now that we now know that it is up to each individual to turn their email adress as invisible what is the problem.
I have my email intentionally hidden on 4 other forums I visit including rogers relics for obvious security reasons and it is only admin who have this prove lage for sending dig info etc.
It would be appreciated very much now if we could be told why access to member profiles cannot be accessed in light of what many of us know about advertising your email and the fact that you can turn it off.
Thanks
keith

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:01:15 PM by whigsvolt »

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
Because rather than keep dealing with complaints of recieving unwanted email communications casting doubt over whether those emails addresses are being gained from going through profiles I took the decision just to make a persons profile private to them.

When a person gives their email address to sign up they don't specify that we have permission to disclose that to others so I'm not.

I may decide to change this in the future if I can figure out how to exclude the personal email but from the profiles on masse but for now I'm far too busy dealing with other issues
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

whigsvolt

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 07:13:31 PM »
Because rather than keep dealing with complaints of recieving unwanted email communications casting doubt over whether those emails addresses are being gained from going through profiles I took the decision just to make a persons profile private to them.

When a person gives their email address to sign up they don't specify that we have permission to disclose that to others so I'm not.

I may decide to change this in the future if I can figure out how to exclude the personal email but from the profiles on masse but for now I'm far too busy dealing with other issues
Grant did you read budges post further up the thread.
He as I did made his email invisible .We can all do this.
Problem solved .
I'm not asking you to wet nurse the membership just inform every one that it's their responsibility.
Surely you cannot get fairer than that.
Keith.