June 20, 2018, 09:47:26 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Problems or suggestions for the site » Detecting in Scotland

Author Topic: Detecting in Scotland  (Read 1675 times)

s60tty

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
Detecting in Scotland
« on: March 02, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »
After recent concerns about finds etc ,could this PDF be made a sticky so that new and experienced people to the hobby have ALL the facts and the correct procedures regarding metal detecting in Scotland
Thanks  :)

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/metaldetecting.pdf
The trust of the innocent is the liars most useful tool .

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
Re: Detecting in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 10:07:56 PM »
Good idea Scotty, it wouldnt do any of us, experienced or beginner, any harm to have an easy to find reference here on the forum instead of having to google it,  :)
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
Yep good post/idea Scotty  :)
Alba Gu Bra'th

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:21:54 PM »
Noticed this bit in the document...

" The term portable antiquity in Scotland covers ‘any ownerless item (bona vacantia)
which is portable, has been humanly manufactured or modified, is of any size, type
or material, is not integral to a site or monument, and has been found in Scotland.
Normally the human manufacture or modification of the item will have occurred more
than 100 years before its discovery.(Treasure Trove in Scotland: A Code of Practice, 2008)"

So I take it that they dont want our post 1916 coinage, buckles etc ? 
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

DartmoorRanger

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • TEAM MINELAB, TEAM XP
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 10:25:55 PM »
Great post Scotty, and if anyone is still unsure they could even ask for guidance on this thread. :)
Minelab Etrac, RNB Innovations ML3100, SEF 15x12 Coil, GOG Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, JR Stainless 'V' Blade, JR Stainless Ultimate Digger.
XP Deus

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • DS the site that keeps you digging ALL YEAR!!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:07:01 PM »
Will do however that publication is being reviewed/rewritten and I've got the last book of those leaflets at home lol bringing them to the summer rally

GCC

Ctx 3030

Collector of shillings and Militaria

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 11:10:08 PM »
Posted the link in the news section and made it a sticky as requested

See here: http://www.detectingscotland.com/index.php?topic=13240.0
GCC

Ctx 3030

P0k3Rman

• Exalted Poster
    • Beyond The Beep
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 11:10:27 PM »
...yes, this brochure is quite good, although I think it is a little wordy. It probably needs updated, especially as Historic Scotland are now Historic Environment Scotland.

...in addition, a lot of the rights that Historic Scotland had with regards to Treasure Trove and within the code of practice have now been removed in the latest update, issued on January 13th, 2016. There are also several other relevant changes within the code if you complete a document comparison with the previous version - everyone should read and understand this.

....unfortunately, I was a little dismayed to see that this has been issued without any general notification, press release, or social media release, especially as it directly involves detectorists and the general public?

http://www.qltr.gov.uk/content/code-practice-treasure-trove-scotland-0
Finder of the 'Galloway Hoard' of Viking & Anglo-Saxon gold and silver, find out more: www.beyondthebeep.com  /  www.facebook.com/beyondthebeep

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 11:13:11 PM »
...yes, this brochure is quite good, although I think it is a little wordy. It probably needs updated, especially as Historic Scotland are now Historic Environment Scotland.

...in addition, a lot of the rights that Historic Scotland had with regards to Treasure Trove and within the code of practice have now been removed in the latest update, issued on January 13th, 2016. There are also several other relevant changes within the code if you complete a document comparison with the previous version - everyone should read and understand this.

....unfortunately, I was a little dismayed to see that this has been issued without any general notification, press release, or social media release, especially as it directly involves detectorists and the general public?

The brochure is being reviewed/rewritten as mentioned two posts up mate.

No more of the old one are being printed
GCC

Ctx 3030

P0k3Rman

• Exalted Poster
    • Beyond The Beep
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 11:24:05 PM »

The brochure is being reviewed/rewritten as mentioned two posts up mate.

No more of the old one are being printed

...lol, I was writing and then posted all within a couple of minutes. I hope it is far simpler and more straightforward, and less wordy. It should be condense into three sides of a booklet maximum, with links if people want to read more in depth information - salient simple bullet points would be the order of the day if I could comment / advise on it! Keep it very, very simple  ;) ;D
Finder of the 'Galloway Hoard' of Viking & Anglo-Saxon gold and silver, find out more: www.beyondthebeep.com  /  www.facebook.com/beyondthebeep