October 23, 2017, 11:24:37 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detector Finds » Have you ever found a Jews Harp in Scotland?

Author Topic: Have you ever found a Jews Harp in Scotland?  (Read 373 times)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • DS the site that keeps you digging ALL YEAR!!
Have you ever found a Jews Harp in Scotland?
« on: August 12, 2017, 12:46:37 PM »
If so please see the message below and the contact email at the bottom.

Hoping you guys can assist him, you may also be asked separately by Alastair (NCMD Chair)

We are putting it on here too in case anyone doesn't see the request.

Good afternoon.
I have been asked to write a chapter for an up-coming book on 'The Cultural History of Musical Instruments in Scotland, 1700-Present' by Glasgow University, and my subject is the jews-harp / jaw harp / or trump.

Recently I came across an announcement lamenting the death of a maker from Stonehaven, dated June, 1855:

Death of Mr. Glegg, Harpmaker, Stonehaven. —We regret to have to record the death rge well-known residentcr—Mr. Alexander Glegg, harpmaker. He enjoyed a world-wide reputation as maker of Jews’ harps, or trumps, as they are more familiarly called, and now that he is no more, there is no one that can fill his place in the manufacture of that pleasing and simple instrument of music. We have seen many specimens of these makers in Birmingham, Sheffield, and elsewhere, but the best of them were very far inferior to those of this celebrated maker. Mr. Glegg’s death will be regretted by a wide circle of acquaintances, and by a larger number of those who practised that instrument, which was not considered genuine without the impress of his name.

I have never come across this maker, and the local Stonehaven Historical Society are equally baffled - they were unaware that jews-harps were made in Stonehaven at all.

It occurs to me that the comment that Glegg's name was 'impressed' might mean some sort of stamp on the frame, so I wondered if any of you members had come across a jews-harp with his name on it.

Annoyingly, I have only just come across this reference and my deadline for the chapter is September, so I am severely limited to time, but wondered if you had a forum where this request might be posted.

Needless to say, any jews-harp finds anyone in Scotland has knowledge of would be of interest.
Regards,
Michael Wright     michael.wright1939@gmail.com
GCC

Ctx 3030

Collector of shillings and Militaria

Bounty Hunter

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • To find the past you have to loss the present.
    • Went and forgot ma probe.
Re: Have you ever found a Jews Harp in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 05:15:28 PM »
 :)Hello there Grant
Yes I found a Jews Harp detecting in Airdrie about five years ago, I'm sure Natasha saw it but she wasnt really that interested in it. I thought it was unusual to find one in Airdrie although the area I found it had a 15th century house at it ,now demolished of course.
BW Gerard. :)
When detecting always expect the unexpected, if in doubt, prepare to be disappointed, then dig it.If you don't know what a coin is chances are it's not that common and could be worth more than you think.Minelab X-Terra 70,Explorer XS.CSCOPE Newforce R1 ,X-Terra 30,Tesoro Hawkeye.Ace250,TrackerIV,GM4

Uncle Bob

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 05:59:40 PM »
For what its worth - they were common enough certainly up until the 1960's (I used to have one but it knocked the bejesus out of my teeth and I stopped playing it!) and used to be commonly seen in music and junk etc shops.

Not seen one in years though and would sure like to find one.

Good luck with this thread ...

Bob.

gasman

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 07:31:23 PM »
I found one at the St Andrews dig a while ago it  looked fairly modern with no name on it so never gave it much consideration to be honest.

jmcd600

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »
Yes grant I have a couple from Scotland

grumpyjohn

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »
I found one many years ago in East Lothian but no name on it. Have sent an Email with this information to Michael Wright. ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:45:37 PM by grumpyjohn »
Better to live a rich life and die poor ,than live a poor life and die rich
English by birth, Scots by choice !

Xcav80R

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 03:10:52 PM »
Grant, yes found one in Scotland, have emailed the guy.

grumpyjohn

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 04:07:13 PM »
Sent Michael a picture of the harp I found and he gave me an identification on it and said due to the shape he could tell it was made by the Sideway family based in the West midlands and mostly found in England and America !! Not a common type for Scotland !! Very interesting story !! :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:05:12 PM by grumpyjohn »
Better to live a rich life and die poor ,than live a poor life and die rich
English by birth, Scots by choice !

hammerhoover

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:47:08 PM »
Hi Grant, I found one a few years back dating to 17th c which was treasure troved as it was an early example, Perth Museum has it, I've found a few others since which I'll check out as they are in one of my find boxes